Chapter 39

One month later

"Hi, my lovely boy!"

Marcus heard his mother's words and looked up from the papers on his table. Father already had passed him all the paperwork, and he was checking and rechecking what he had done.

"Hey, mom," he focused on her, glad to have a couple of minutes of distraction.

It was difficult to concentrate on what he was doing because his thoughts were always returning to Regina. He tried different tactics of not thinking of her, but it didn't work. Tried to be angry at her, but it lasted only for a couple of hours. He tried to talk himself into calling her, but he was too afraid to hear her rejection again. At last, he decided that time would heal this wound. Eventually, he would stop thinking of her.

But he didn't want to stop thinking of her. If the pain of losing her was all he had left, wasn't that worth holding on to?

"Marcus, dear, talk to me," Mom said looking worried.

"About what, mom?" he looked nonchalant.

"After your return, you were not like yourself. You're here, but at the same time you're far away, thinking about something."

"It's just a coronation, and I'm nervous," he attempted to smile, but she stayed serious.

"What happened there, on Earth? Have you met someone?" she asked point-blank, sitting in front of him in a chair and putting her hands on the table.

How did she know?

"Did Darius or Kos say something to you?" he narrowed his eyes.

After return, he told them about his conversation with Regina, and they were stunned to hear, that he was ready to stay on Earth with her. But he made them promise not to bring this topic again. And they respected his choice, and never talked about her.

"So, there was someone? And no, they didn't talk to me." She smiled a little.

Marcus cursed himself for being caught in her trap. He could've just pretended further, that he didn't know what she was talking about. But in truth, he wanted to talk to someone, and he couldn't talk about it with his father.

"Yes, mom, I've met someone," he replied tiredly.

"She turned you down?" now her eyes narrowed.

"It's complicated," he winced. "I kind of asked her to tell me to stay on Earth, and she refused." he was waiting for her to be angry, but she threw back her head and laughed.

"Oh, you're just like your father." Her eyes sparkled with amazement when she eventually stopped laughing.

Marcus didn't share her laugh but was sitting and looking at her like she was insane. He always wanted to be like his father, but he couldn't suppress his emotions enough to be like him.

"What do you mean?" he was perplexed.

"Oh, you don't know how we met, do you? Before Robert became a King, there were rules, whom royalty can marry, and I wasn't born in such a family. You know that my parents are humble people, my mother worked in a library, and father was a plumber. We were the lowest cast in our underground country. But I'd been a rebel since childhood. I could sometimes steal a bike from my father's work, and go above just to look at Moons and Sun. I could be away for hours, and when I was back, he lectured me for my shenanigans. And on one of my trips I've met your dad. It turned out that it was hard for him to learn kingly things because he was an adventurer at heart. He also loved to speed away on his bike and just sit on some rock in the middle of the desert and stare in the sky. And on one of those trips, he saw some unidentified biker in a black helmet and thought that it was a Martian."