Chapter 7

Marcus was watching the road with his eyes half-closed. Jazz always helped him to relax after a difficult day, and after not resting for so long, it almost lulled him to sleep. His eyes heavy with fatigue, every blink was harder for him, as they moved forward. Something made him look at Regina, and he frowned. She was sitting straighter and flexed her fingers on the steering wheel.

They came to the intersection, and instead of going straight ahead, she turned to the left.

"Do we need another stop?" Marcus asked, opening his eyes wider. Maybe she needed to use a washroom?

"No, it's the shortest way," she replied briskly without looking at him.

The loud beeping sound coming from his wrist penetrated the stillness of the car. Vi-com's electronic woman voice was repeating, "Wrong route. Wrong route. Wrong route."

"What is that?" Regina jumped in her seat spitting words like bullets.

He opened his wrist, and, on display, he saw, that they were going in the wrong direction. There wasn't a short route.

"Where are you going?" he tried one more time calmly.

"To my father." She looked at him, and he could see the irritation in her eyes.

"Stop the car." He raised his voice and felt Kos and Darius sit straighter in the backseat.

"No." Instead of stopping the car, she pushed the accelerator to move faster.

"If you don't stop right now, I'll stop it myself." Anger rose, and he couldn't contain his calm facade anymore.

"Or what? Then you won't get to my father," she said with a crazy glint in her eyes.

They were racing through the sandy valleys with no other cars around. He put his hand with the vi-com to the dashboard and pushed the button on it. The car engine stopped working, and they started to lose speed.

"What have you done?" She tried to push the "Start" button, but nothing happened. "You broke my car, you bastard!" she shrieked.

He could have locked tires as well, but going at that speed they had, they would've just turned over.

Abruptly Kos pinned her to her seat from behind, locking her shoulders.

"Kos, I don't think it's necessary," Marcus told him, trying to maintain his composure, but everything in him was simmering. What was she up to?

But Kos just grunted in denial.

"Where were you going?" he asked through the gritted teeth.

"I told you, it's the shortest route," Regina struggled to break Kosmas's hold, but her attempts were futile.

The car stopped in the middle of the road, and Marcus said, "You better relax, or you'll strain something. He won't let you go until you tell us the truth."

She only glared at him but stopped wriggling. He could see that she was gathering her strength and waited for Kos to put down his guard. Good luck to her.

"Fine, I'll check it my way." He punched some commands on his device and an interactive map opened before him. He scrolled all the way to the end, where this road was going. The hot rage filled him when he saw her destination.

He was breathing heavily through his nose.

He wouldn't lose his temper.

He wouldn't lose it!

Damn it!

She lied to them!

He barked, "Everyone, out!"