Chapter 30

Two of the biggest mutants were advancing on Regina. She started to shoot at them, but because she had a limited bullet count, she was shooting carefully.

One of the guards was a tall mutant with short hands, but his claws were at least three feet long. He advanced on her first, and she shot him in his sternum. He looked where she had shot him and raised his face to smile at her. He had an ugly face with dark grey withered skin, which was too big for his scalp and his mouth was full of longish serrated teeth. He licked his almost non-existent lips, and she saw a long forked grey tongue. He hadn't fallen like she thought he would but started to run at her twice as fast.

Fuck, Marcus said to shoot in the eyes. Bullet number two flew to his eye, and he stopped and dropped to the ground.

The second monster tripped over his friend with a bullet in his eye and rolled, grabbing her leg. She didn't have time to take her aim properly and went down with him on the ground. Thankfully, this one didn't have long claws, but his arms were like snakes which gripped her leg harder and harder, and she felt like he would break her bone soon. She hit him in the face with the other leg, but it was no good. She tried to aim for his eye, but he was squirting like a snake which probably he was mutated with. When she lost feeling in her leg, she thought, Fuck it, and shot two bullets in his head. One hit an eye, and his grip lessened.

She quickly broke his hold and kicked him one more time for a good measure. She sat on the ground and looked around. Boss was fighting one mutant, who looked like a snake. He captured her lower body and she tried to shoot him, but his head was moving around like he was taunting her, his forked tongue lolling from his mouth and saliva was dripping from his fangs. Boss yelled and pulled the trigger non-stop and, in the end, she caught him in the mouth. Regina jumped to her to help free her from its gripping vice. But she already moved to fight another mutant.

The battle had spread around them, and only Wisel was standing still and watched it with a small smile on his face. She could shoot him now while he was alone in the open, but then she heard running steps and looked back to see who was advancing from behind.

It was her... dad. He was running to her with two rifles.

Regina looked at him like he was a hallucination. What he was doing here? He needed to be somewhere safe, not running around like he was a superhero. For a split second, she remembered that he wasn't her dad, and that he lied to her for all her life.

"I've got this," he gave her one. "Are you okay? I saw him grabbing you and was afraid I won't be in time to save you," he was breathing heavily, fear in his eyes.

At first, Regina didn't know what to say. She stood stunned, just staring at him. She wasn't his daughter, she ruined his career, and here he was, running to her with guns in the middle of the battlefield.

Still stunned, she took a rifle from him, "I'm fine. But we need to help boys."

Later. She'd think about their talk later. Assuming they got out of this alive.

She turned and saw Marcus in all his battling glory. He was fighting three lizard-looking monsters with long claws. In his hand, she saw two swords which he operated expertly. Where was his gun? Did he have swords also in his suit? She hadn't noticed it before. They were long and almost transparent, glinting in the sunshine. He methodically cut enemies in pieces, but even with him cutting their limbs off, they continued to advance. Regina wanted to help him, but with them moving around so fast, she couldn't take her aim. She was afraid to shoot Marcus.

She moved her gaze and saw Kosmas beating the shit out of one snaky monster. His limbs tried to sneak around his torso, legs, and hands, but Kos was a tough guy with a massive build and big fists. One of the enemy limbs was already beaten to a greenish pulp and lay limp on the grass.