Chapter 28

Regina's eyes burned with unshed tears for Kos. It was a gruesome way to learn the ugly truth about his wife. Not only that she betrayed him, but that she was still alive.

Regina clenched her fists at her sides. The urge to comfort Kos was strong, but she feared she would be unwanted there. Three best friends stood in a tight embrace, and it felt like the world stopped spinning, and grieved with Kos.

Then Marcus turned to Boss, his jaw ticking, "Now you have enough proof that we're not lying. Very soon Martians will be on Earth, and I think I know how we can stop them."

"How soon?" Boss' cold voice was like a whip. She was standing with folded hands between the desk and chair, her gun in a shoulder holster. As soon as she said that phrase, her phone started to ring and she picked it up not glancing at the ID. She repeated the same question and ended the call.

"My intel says the unidentified ship is about to land in thirty minutes, give or take five minutes. What are your suggestions, Prince?" Boss was all business now, but the last part she said with a hint of mockery.

Right, Wisel had called Marcus the Prince. Regina turned to him with a raised brow and a silent question in her eyes.

"Yes, it's true, I'm the son of the King. And I was about to tell you this when Wisel had called."

Marcus was looking right at Regina like only her opinion mattered to him. The sincerity in his bright blue gaze called to her, and she didn't know what to think about this right now. She didn't know what to think about everything that was going on.

At first, her dad turned out to be not her dad, and Clare knew about that. Then her former Boss spied on her and even wanted to kill her at one point. Then Marcus turned out to be a Prince of Mars. Oh, and let's not forget that some creepy Martian (who was also lying) was going to Earth to conquer it. In this chain of events, what is it if there's one more lie?

The new motto of her life? Everyone lies. And she can't even trust her closest people. She wanted to be mad at him for not telling her the truth, but she was just spent and tired, and they still need to deal with the impending confrontation.

Marcus explained further, the pained expression in his eyes, "I didn't tell you this before, because it could be used as leverage."

Yes, he was right. If she knew this three days ago, she would've just tried harder to contain him and wouldn't be listening to him about his peaceful mission. Besides, she already had a feeling that he was someone important, and with his regal manners, she even called him a prince in her head. She suppressed the urge to smirk at herself.

On her own volition, she came closer to the round table and stood by his side, showing her support.

"I understand," she said, and relief washed over Marcus' face, he even let a shadow of a tiny smile show on his face.

Boss came closer to the table, and not-dad and Clare moved also closer. Now everyone stood side by side, the fragile union between them to discuss how they would fight the Martian invasion.

"If you two lovebirds ended your lovely chirping, I'd like to hear something on the situation we have here. What we need to expect from your neighbors?" Boss was as sweet as always, but she was right.

"I don't know how many of them are on that ship, but I know that they're hard to kill. But being the Prince, I think I know what needs to be done." Marcus looked around the table, meeting everyone's eyes, "I'll go to him, and try to negotiate with him."

"Are you out of your fucking mind?" Darius' shout was loud and fearful. "Oh, I see, you remembered that film we watched?" he waved his hands in frustration, "Superman thought that the other aliens were as honorable as him, but we know for sure that Martians are not. He'll just kill you and then seize the White House, you idiot."

"Not if I kill him first. Without their leader, the Martians will pause to see who takes charge, leaving me to negotiate with them."

Kos was shaking his head and looked at the table not blinking, "You forgot about his daughter." He slowly raised his gaze at Marcus, "She's probably right there with him."

Regina's heart squeezed at the Kos' lifeless tone. It must be impossibly hard for him to discuss the battle with the enemies, one of whom was his wife. And gauging by his reaction, he still had feelings for her.

Fucking treacherous Martians.

"Marcus, if you see her, do not dare to kill her," Kos rasped. Then he turned his fierce gaze to the Boss, pointing his finger at her. With every word, his voice became stronger, "Tell your people not to touch her, not to fire back if it comes to that. I want to deal with her by myself."

Regina didn't envy that Melissa or Onyx. Seeing Kos right now, she didn't think it would be a candle-lit dinner with roses for her.

Marcus and Boss nodded their agreement.

"I'll go with you, Marcus," Regina couldn't let him go alone, she was one of the best shots on her team, and she would cover him.

Darius snorted, "Another idiot here, I think you've found your equal, Marcus. Sorry, Mr. Morgan," he added apologetically, looking at her not-dad.

"Darius is right, you two can't go there alone. Boss, how many people can you put around the White House?" Not-dad asked, and she had mixed feelings about him worrying about her.

"We had fifty stationed around the Capitol, and now a couple of hundreds are mobilized and are on their way." Boss checked her phone, "I'm calling everyone we have around to be here as soon as possible. Marsikons, Regina, and I will go to meet them and stall the time, for more troops to arrive."

"What about the President?" Regina asked.

"Do you think he was still in the White House after we've got the message from that Wisel?" Boss' look was sardonic when she glanced at Regina. "He is in the safe house until we'll deal with this mess. And if all of us will live through the attack, then you'll get your meeting with him," she added, nodding at Marcus.

"We'll do our best to minimize the consequences of the Martian arrival," Marcus bowed his head in respect to the Boss.

Regina saw the look of respect for Marcus in her eyes, but her verbal answer was in her trademark manner. "You better. After all, it's all your fault, that they're here."