Chapter 26

Regina stopped in her tracks and others almost bumped into her. Marcus saw the scene and moved to stand in front of Regina, shielding her.

Could this day get any better? After everything she went through in the past twenty-four hours, the least she was expecting was to find herself at gunpoint from her Boss.

Well, her former Boss. But a rose by any other name.

The Boss was a petite woman of Latin ancestry, with long wavy dark brown hair and sharp, almost black eyes. She could scare with only one glare even the most brutal Navy Seal to shut up and obey. Everyone on her team and in the government, who knew about ROTOR respected her and feared her because she knew everything. No one knew her real name or how old she was. Regina heard rumors, that a part of her face was rebuilt after the mission gone wrong, so anyone who knew her before wouldn't recognize her.

Visually you couldn't tell that anything was different about the Boss's face. Only when she smiled. The left half of her face was frozen, like surgeons had been unable to save the nerves responsible for that side. It also was why Boss never smiled. Except now. And it sent a creepy sensation down Regina's spine, leaving her insides churning with adrenaline.

Besides, she rarely went on a mission by herself, preferring to work on the base. And if she was here in person, it was huge. But what exactly? Did she somehow found out about Marsikons already?

"Well, well, Regina. Why are you looking so surprised?" the Boss slowly drawled.

She was sitting in a tall and comfy-looking black chair, casually leaning with one hand on the desk. If you added a glass of wine between her splayed fingers, it would seem she was sitting at the bar counter at some fancy bar. She was wearing her trademark black sheath dress, which emphasized her hard but slender body. Her head was cocked to the side, one shoulder raised, one half of her face splayed in a playful smile. She looked relaxed, but it was an erroneous assumption. Her eyes did a quick once-over at the rest of the people in the office, and returned to Regina's. Her hand with a gun never wavered. She held it in an almost loose grip, which gave her wrist more mobility if her enemies would make a sudden attack.

But Regina wasn't her enemy, so what the fuck was going on?

Regina shook herself and stepped around Marcus to stand right in front of the desk. She noticed a slight brow arching on her face, but other than that, her posture remained the same. Yes, she was her former Boss, but Regina also had balls, and she wasn't guilty of anything.

"Hello, Boss. I'm just surprised to see you in my father's office." Regina rasped almost leisurely, folding her arms. "Especially after I was fired from your team," she added casually, not caring that others were listening. With not-dad, she will deal later when they would help Marsikons to accomplish their mission.

Boss' smile faltered for a second, and she looked confused, but quickly caught herself, "Ah, sorry, with everything that was going on lately, I almost forgot that you were fired."

Regina's hackles rose, and she clenched her fists. How could she forget about it? For Regina, it was the end of the world! Was she so insignificant for their team, that after a couple of days she was just forgotten?

Likely noticing Regina's change in demeanor, Boss's eyes softened, "No, it's not what you think. I didn't forget about you. In fact, the last Friday night I was about to call you and explain that you're back on the team, but we've just got a report about an unidentified flying object, that crossed the atmosphere and landed near LA. We've tracked it and its occupants, and we were surprised to find out that their path led to your house. Instead of contacting you, I arranged for a couple of agents you don't know to shadow you through your little trip."