Chapter 24

Regina was driving carefully; her brain was fuzzy after the restless night. Between crying and waking up from nightmares, she managed to sleep for only a couple of hours. The terrible dream was repeating itself over and over. In that dream, she was again fourteen, at that fateful party, but this time it was Marcus, who was leaving her behind. She saw how he was going backward from her, not uttering a word, but she screamed at him, not to go away, not to leave her alone. And when he was gone, she was waking up with a silent scream. The memory left her in a cold sweat with goosebumps puckering on her arms. She rubbed her neck, trying to erase the cobwebs of that dream from her mind.

Marcus was still and silent as a statue sitting next to her. She felt angry vibes coming off of him, and she wanted to stop the car and explain her decision to him. But she was afraid that it would end up in a fight between them. Or worse, she would give up her resolve and do something stupid, like comforting him and kissing him that would end up in a massive heartbreak later.

She kept reminding herself, that it was better that way. Everyone was safe, while no one made a fatal mistake. She and Marcus could get back to their occupations without huge losses of the part of themselves. He just hadn't realized it yet, that she did the right thing.

She would get her job back and would pretend, that this attraction never happened. And he would be back on Mars doing what he was supposed to be doing. God, she forgot to ask him, what he would be doing when he'll get back. He told her, that for all his life he was preparing for this mission, and now, that he accomplished it, what would he be doing? She was curious but couldn't ask him this right now. He looked like he was ready to bite her head off if she dared a squeak.

Okay, first things first. They needed to get to her dad and ask for an audience with the President. And then, when their mission would be accomplished, she would dare to speak to him.

They left the car not far from the US Capitol and at a brisk pace reached the building. Everyone was silent, even Darius. The tension came from Marsikons in electric waves. They were looking straight ahead, not lingering their gaze on a massive and beautiful building. They were on a mission, and she hoped that she hadn't made a mistake in trusting them.

They reached dad's office, and she saw Clare behind a desk in the room in front of her dad's. A cautious smile almost reached Clare's eyes, when she saw Regina. But was turned in a scowl, when her eyes landed on the three men who stood right behind her.

"Hi, Clare!" Regina's smile was genuine. She realized, how she missed her dear sister, and all she wanted to do at that moment, was to grab her and go to their favorite restaurant and talk about what happened to Regina in the past three days. She hugged her sister and she hugged her back. A strong sisterly embrace made her tearful. She missed her so much.

"I missed you, Clare," she whispered in her hair and heard a watery laugh from her.

"I missed you too, little sister," Clare hugged her tighter and exhaled. Then she loosened her arms and whispered, "Who are these guys with you? They look a bit tense."

Regina barked a laugh through the sheen of tears, "Yeah, well, they're my new friends. I need to introduce them to dad, so he could help them in their request," She turned around to Marsikons, gesturing to Clare, "Hey, guys, this is my sister, Clare. As I've told you, she works with our dad."

Thankfully, Marcus didn't comment on the sister thing. He greeted her sister with a stretched hand, his face neutral. He didn't spare even a glance in Regina's direction. Sorrow pricked her heart and she needed to take an extra deep breath to ease the sensation.

"Nice to meet you," Marcus said in a pleasant voice.

Darius and Kosmas also shook hands with Clare. Darius' face remained neutral too, but she could swear she saw something mischievous glinting in his eyes when he touched Clare, whose brows narrowed in response.