Chapter 21

Marcus woke up with a start. He couldn't comprehend where he was, and his head was pounding like he had a hangover.

"Hello, sleeping beauty, we're trying to wake you for five minutes already," Darius' face was in front of him, with his hand in the air like he was about to slap him.

Right. Coffee, car, sleep. When he remembered, he was even more embarrassed than when Darius busted them.

"I won't drink this stuff anymore."

"Why? You were very entertaining," Darius said matter-of-factly.

He got out and saw Regina shyly smiling at him. He was missing her playful gaze and inviting smile already. He missed her in his arms.

"How are you?" she asked him quietly when he came closer.

"Ah, well, I'm sorry for my performance earlier," he rubbed his neck wanting to hide somewhere. If his father saw him then, he would've fallen in shock.

"Don't be sorry. It was refreshing to see the real you," she smiled, patting his arm, but it wasn't lingering like before.

He missed her warmness when she dropped her hand.

Was it really him? No, he was always calm, closing his emotions from anyone. He must be impartial like he was on Mars. Like his father had taught him. But it was so difficult to maintain his composure after how many days of freedom with himself. It seemed like Regina ruined his inner walls that contained his true personality and freed the beast.

They ended up in three rooms, two single and one double because there weren't any bigger rooms available. It was a nice hotel, not luxurious like they had in Denver, but comfy looking. Everything was made in calm tones, and it reminded him of his home decor on Mars, where everything was made in grey, beige and sandy colors. He didn't think about it before but seeing how a hotel in Denver was bright and colorful, he wanted to add some vibrancy to his home and his life.

Darius wanted to stay with him, but Marcus wanted some time alone so he could collect his thoughts. Tomorrow would be a difficult day, and he needed to think through his speech with Arthur Morgan and then the President. They had only one shot at it, and if they refused his offer, Marcus didn't know what he'd do. He hoped that Regina would help him to persuade her father to contact the President.

He was also wondering, that maybe at some point he and Regina would stay alone and talk. There was important business to discuss. Most of all? He had to show her that the future king of Mars wasn't a shitty kisser.

***

Regina took a quick shower and went downstairs to arrange extra fast laundry for boys' suits. When she went to knock on a double room's door, Kos opened it, wearing a bathrobe. He was looking completely different from when he was in his gear. Like some famous athlete relaxing in his room after a competition. He was very handsome, but this fact did nothing to her heart. It continued to beat in the same rhythm. Not like it did when she caught herself in Marcus' gaze.

Stepping outside with three suits, he went with her downstairs. He told her that he would wait there while they cleaned the suits, not wanting to leave them out of his sight. He didn't trust them not to ruin the suits, and he would provide necessary advice on how to do it properly.

She rolled her eyes at his remark when he was going in front of her, so he didn't see it.

"Please tell Darius to order food for you," she told him when they were almost to the laundry room.

He glanced at her over his shoulder, raising a brow. "You and Marcus are going somewhere?"

"No, I mean for the three of you. I want to eat somewhere else," she said.