Chapter 32

Marcus was replaying what Michael had said in the hospital while they were driving. Regina and Clare were chatting about something, but he tuned everything out. He had a troubled feeling after it turned out Nick was a good guy who'd erased Regina from his life just to save her.

He kept reminding himself that it was almost fifteen years ago, but Regina's face, when she'd heard about it, said that she still cared for him. She told Marcus, she was in love with him then, and there are no time limits for real love. And Marcus was jealous. And pissed off. But he tried not to show it. Now that Nick knew Regina's number and he didn't have his brother's threat over him, he would renew their relationship.

The rational part of Marcus told him that was highly unlikely, but his heart broke with every passing minute of their trip.

Darius lightly punched him in the arm and whispered in Russian, "Hey, if you're thinking about Regina and that guy from her past, stop it. You're just wasting precious time."

Marcus turned to him, an astonished smile on his face. Russian was Kosmas' family language, and they knew it and occasionally spoke in it, especially when they didn't want to be overheard. "What?" Darius was a mind-reader? Since when? But his words helped him to lose the raising tension, and he let it go for now.

Darius just shrugged and winked, before turning to look out of the window.

Morgan's family house was located in a quiet suburb. The two-story red brick house was big enough for their family. The green lawn in front of it looked like a thick carpet, and Marcus' feet itched to feel the grass without shoes. Maybe at night, he could try it, when no one could see him.

When the door opened, a petite, dark-skinned woman with short hair run outside to them. She ran to Arthur and hugged him fiercely, then punched him in the stomach. "It for scaring me like that. On the news, they showed you lying on the grass and telling the Senator is dead."

Marcus could see from whom Regina inherited her fierceness and temper.

Then her mother saw Regina exiting the car and turned to her with tears in her eyes, "My baby! You're here!"

"Hi, mommy," Regina replied hugging her mother in a tight embrace. He could hear tears in her voice. He resented when Regina was crying because his heart was splitting in half. But this was the tears of joy, so he smiled at the warmness coming from these two women.

"I've missed you so much, and I was so worried about you, especially after our phone conversation. But at last, my heart is calm. Finally, you're here, and you're safe." Her gaze was roaming over her, stroking her hair.

Clare exited and hugged them too, and all three of them were standing in one big hug.

"Finally, all of our family is in one place and save," Regina's mother whispered.

She discreetly wiped her tears and said, "Come inside and tell me everything. And you two handsome boys, come as well, I'll make coffee, and you'll introduce yourselves."

"No coffee!" Darius said a little too loud, "But thanks for the offer."

Regina and Marcus laughed nervously at his outburst, with Marcus saying, "If there weren't the anti-effect, I would be happy to have a cup. But, unfortunately, I'll pass."

On their way to the house, Regina's mother was holding both her daughters by the waists, but she turned to him squinting, "What's the anti-effect?"

"Nothing Mom, I'll tell you later," Regina replied, chuckling.

The house inside was done in a classic style, as Marcus remembered from his lessons about Earth, but it looked and felt homey.

When others were inside, they quickly introduced themselves, and Arthur went upstairs to refresh himself and change clothes. Regina told her mom (Belinda) and Clare about their trip across the USA. She listened to her story, and he saw the worry in Belinda's eyes. At the end of it, she took Regina's head in her palms and looking straight in her eyes said gravely, "I'm glad, that these men turned out to be good, but promise me, that you never, ever will drive even a mile with a stranger. What did I teach you when you were little?"

Regina smiled sheepishly, "Okay, Mom."

"It's not funny. Come heres" she hugged her and kissed the top of her head.

"Mom, I need to talk to you privately?" Regina asked unsurely.

"Yes, of course. Boys, please help yourself with tea and pastries." And the two of them went to the other room.

Marcus and Darius were left alone with Clare, who sat in front of them on the other side of the breakfast island. She sat with a rigid spine, looking regal and serious. Was she afraid of them or just wary?

Next, to him, Darius was eating pastries, like there was no tomorrow, and was scanning Clare from head to waist, parts which were visible to him. Marcus bumped his leg, but he bumped it in return and continued to stare.

Marcus cleared his throat, "So, Clare, when do you think we can meet the President?" he tried to break the uncomfortable silence, and they still needed to make the final step to complete their mission.

As if he was her savior, she locked gaze with his, "Oh, I completely forgot about it with everything that went down. I'll go and make some calls. If you'll excuse me." She stood up and almost ran to the other room.

Which left him and Darius alone. He was wondering how Kos was doing there, but soon they will go back and pick him up.

"Why did you do this to her? She's out of your league," Marcus said.

"What are you talking about? I was just eating," Darius said innocently with raised brows and put another tiny croissant in his big mouth. "So, what are we going to do after we talk with the President?" when he ended chewing, Darius asked seriously.

"After we get plastic, we make fuel and go back home," Marcus said thoughtfully.

Go back home. Saying these words was like pulling his heart out and stomping on it a million times. He didn't want to go back. He felt that his home was here now. With Regina at his side.

After yesterday's night, which felt like a lifetime ago, he thought that she was indifferent to him, that she had played him. But just before the battle, she'd kissed him. He'd wanted to make the first move, but he'd been afraid she would push him away. But she surprised him, closing the distance between their lips and kissing him like he was her lifeline. She knew about his heritage now, and still, she kissed him.

He didn't know what it would mean for them. Probably she would've her job back, which she so much wanted. And he needed to go back to Mars.

None of that would stop a King.

But there was a bigger problem than distance and his royal heritage. It wasn't up to him whether Regina opened her heart to him. A former lover had just returned to her, and whether she still had feelings for him, Marcus had seen Regina's face as she listened to Michael's story.

Nick had made overwhelming sacrifices in service to the people he cared about. Regina had spent her life doing the same. Except she'd also reunited with her father and discovered that sometimes, those boundaries to protect others were actually erected to protect herself.

What happened next would tell him whether she'd go back to putting up walls between them—or whether she might possibly love him as he loved her. He wouldn't push her. He wouldn't force her. He would return home, and if her decision was to let him go...

He shook his head. A part of him feared she already had.

As if reading his mind, Darius asked, "Do you want to go?"

"I need to," Marcus said sadly. When they'll have an agreement and contact with Earth, they would work on distance. He soon would become a King, and he couldn't be traveling to Earth anymore.

Because no King ever left his domain.