Chapter 3

Regina spotted an ugly white car with a huge dent on its side, parked near her neighbor's house. She never saw it in her block. Who would drive such a monstrosity?

It's like driving a microwave.

She smirked and went to her door.

Her head was full of thoughts about what she needed to do to get her job back, which bad guy she needed to follow in order to reveal some conspiracy. Something huge.

She went inside, only to stop dead in her tracks when she switched the lights on and glanced in the living room.

"What the fuck?" were her only words.

On her sofa were sitting three strange men, still as statues.

Her heartbeat fastened and she realized, that it was Michael's goons. Boss said they had settled the situation with him. But it seemed, that before his dearh he managed sent them to finish what he started at the bar.

Visibly staying calm, but her pulse speeding, she quickly assessed the situation. What were her options?

She had guns in different rooms. One was in the living room and to get to it, she needed to get past three men, where they could grab her right away. The other one was on the second floor, and she would be trapped there, or they could catch her while she was running. Especially that tall man with mile-long legs, which he stretched in front of him in full length.

The third option was just to go outside and call for a backup. But nobody on her team would come to her aid. As the Boss said, she was on her own now. Even if she was facing the worst.

She could call the police, but they wouldn't get there in time.

Wait a sec. She didn't need anyone to help her. It was her house, and she was capable of standing up for herself. But the longer they just stood there, the more she realized she might have misjudged them.

If they wanted just to hurt her, they would've done that already. They were looking at each other for a couple of minutes now, and no one had moved a muscle. Why weren't they attacking?

What made her curious were their suits. She'd never seen like it in real life. Sleek, dark grey material engulfed their bodies like a second skin. She could see every bit of muscle bulging on their bodies. She also couldn't see any visible weapons. Maybe they were from a charity fund?

Huh, yeah, dream on.

"Okay, guys. Maybe somebody would tell me, what's going on here? Are we waiting for someone?" she couldn't keep quiet any longer.

One of them stood up. He was a tall, good-looking man with fair skin. He had a straight Roman nose; blue eyes were deeply set and a bit too close to each other under a heavy brow; wide, strong, clean-shaven jaw; his full lips were pursed a little, in a regal manner. His dark blond hair was perfectly coiled, longer on the top and shorter on the sides. He looked serious and intimidating, but she was used to dealing with intimidating people.

He came closer, stretching his hand to her, and she crouched extending her leg and kicked him in the shin. He careened back, barely holding himself up. Then the second guy with dark skin and long legs was up in a second and like a blur advanced on her. She managed to avoid his grabbing hands and slid to the left and behind him, kicking him in the back with her leg. With full force he staggered to the hall, where she was standing a minute ago, crashing into the wall.

She just needed to grab her gun in the cabinet. But on her way was standing the third goon. And he was huge. She didn't think, that her kicks would make an impact on him, just piss him off more. She was breathing hard, looking him in the eye, trying to decipher which way he would be attacking, when she heard a deep rumble of a voice.