Then she saw Darius fighting two Martians. One with claws and the other snake-like. He was moving fast between them with his short blades, like which Marcus had shown her before. He was moving like a dancer, two cuts on one beast, and two cuts on another.

Boss shouted a quick, "I'll check on the others," and ran away in her high heels.

Suddenly Regina heard the sound of the rotor blades coming closer and closer, and after glancing at the sky she saw the Black Hawks coming around the space ship and shooting mutants behind the fence. Finally, their backup had arrived.

But glancing up had cost her precious seconds. One of the clawed monsters was running in her direction. She pointed her rifle and started shooting him, but he didn't stop. He just ran. Dad was also aiming at him, but she didn't hear shots. Only clicks of the empty magazine.

"Fuck!" She heard him swearing.

The mutant was advancing, and she tried to hit him in the head, but her panic made her a sloppy shooter. He was almost on them when everything went in slow motion. She finally shot him in the head, and green goo went flying around, but not losing momentum, the body of the monster was still running at them, and when he started to fall, his long claw scraped her father's body.

She turned to him, seeing how he clasped his hand on his belly, but there wasn't any blood. He put away his hand, and she saw just a scratch through his white button-down shirt. Her father looked at her and exhaled, chuckling nervously, "That was close."

Dad grinned, and she half-smiled in return. She exhaled in relief and turned to look at the boys, who were running and shouting something, the look of horror on their faces. But she was smiling, 'Hey we've won'.

Then Regina heard a thump behind her, and when she turned, her father was lying on the ground, his body convulsing.

***

Terror pierced Regina's heart and she dropped to the ground, shouting, "No, Dad!"

Kos dropped down on his knees beside him and shuffled from his suit what looked like a medical kit.

"I'll help him take the bastard."

He was referencing Wisel, who was trying to run toward the platform.

Feeling rising fury inside, Regina got up and took her gun. She exhaled, clearing her mind of all emotions, and made three shots in the back of the running away rat. She saw him falling on his knees and then on his belly, but the bastard made it to the platform, which started to ascend taking him to the ship. When it was all the way up, the ships humming increased and it rapidly flew away, leaving a hot trail of wind behind.

Regina turned back and saw a mini-lab arranged around her dad right there on the grass.

She tried to suppress her emotions, but bit by bit they started to penetrate her hard defenses.

Only a couple of minutes ago the man, who she called her dad was full of vibrant life handsome man, and now he was lying there, whiter than a sheet of paper, not moving. She couldn't even see if he was breathing.

The realization struck her hard.

He is dying.

Oh my God, what have I done?

Again, she put him at risk. But this time it could be fatal. He ran to save her, not caring that she wasn't his blood daughter.

Regina was standing still. Afraid to move. The fear of him being gone for sure was overwhelming her. She wanted to drop down and hug him tightly.