Chapter 31

Clarke and Lexa make their way back to the city with interlocked fingers, smiling brightly at one other and sneakily glancing at the other's smiling face when they think the they won't be caught doing so.

Once they reach the edge of the city, they both release the other's hand, aware that the Heda cannot be seen holding hands with anyone like that. That was a privilege reserved for the common people.

And Clarke sighs sadly when Lexa's posture and vibe go from playful and loving to rigid and cold as well. It was such a stark contrast from the Lexa that was walking by her side mere seconds ago.

Yet, Clarke notices the spark that never leaves Lexa's eyes.

Lexa herself also wasn't entirely happy about having to let go of the blonde's hand. She could deal with the posture and coldness thing that her function as Heda required of her, but her hands itched to touch the blonde. And no matter how much training she'd had or no matter how hard she tried; the corners of her mouth weren't nearly as set in place as they should have been. They kept automatically creeping up just a bit.

Once they reach the tower, Lexa speaks, "We must drop by the Fleimkepa first to let him know meetings are cancelled. You should stay outside. I don't care much about his opinion about us. However, I don't feel like dealing with his unsolicited advice about our relation- um..." Lexa pauses for a moment and awkwardly glances at Clarke. "Our situation." She quickly corrects herself as her face turns red again.

Clarke didn't think Lexa could still surprise her, but the number of times that she had witnessed the tough, indifferent Commander blush had Clarke feeling giddy. She couldn't wait to see what else might turn the Commander's face a deep shade of pink.

Once they reach Titus' location, Lexa knocks once and immediately lets herself into the room.

Clarke taps her foot on the floor impatiently while Lexa is inside of the Fleimkepa's sacred space. Her arms are crossed.

"You can't do that, Heda. You have duties to attend to and besides the fact that this is way too last minute, you don't even have a valid excuse. What am I supposed to tell your Ambassadors?" Titus says exasperated and angrily.

"I really could not care less what you tell them, Flamekeeper. And I can do whatever I please. Ai laik Heda, leader of the thirteen clans. My subjects should not be questioning me. That includes you," Lexa says pointedly, an annoyed expression on her face.

"Lexa, you cannot be serious right now. What is so important that you would cancel every single pre-planned meeting for?"

"That is Heda to you, Titus. And that is none of your business."

"It is my business. I have vowed to protect you with my life, so everything you do is my business."

"We are done here. Get it done, Titus," Lexa says firmly, ignoring any further protests as she walks out of the room.

Clarke pushes herself off the wall she had been leaning against and follows Lexa's brisk pace towards the elevator.

"That sounded like it went well," Clarke says, trying to lighten the mood. She could tell the conversation with Titus had aggravated Lexa and she didn't want anything to ruin Lexa's good mood.

"That man needs to mind his place before I show it to him," the brunette says with a frown.

Once the elevator doors close behind them, Clarke steps closer to Lexa.

"But why would you be thinking about him when you could be thinking about me right now?" Clarke says with a playful smirk on her face.

Lexa sends Clarke a small, but genuine smile, then asks, "Would you like to take a bath? We did work out and rolled around in dirt this morning."