Chapter 7

The first thing Clarke hears when she wakes up again is the sound of boots on gravel and whispering voices all around her. She groans as she becomes aware of the throbbing pain in her temple. Her capturer got her good, she wouldn't be surprised if a bruise had already formed in the spot where she got hit.

"Perfect timing, Wanheda", the gruff voice from before sounds close to her ear, "they'll be glad to see you awake."

He must have heard her pained groan when she woke up.

The gag in Clarke's mouth is making it impossible for her to give any retort, so instead the blonde tries to take in her surroundings. It's best to know the situation she is in if she wants to stand any chance getting out of it.

She is draped across her capturer's shoulder, his shoulder digging into her already sore stomach with each step. Her mouth is gagged, and she is wearing a blindfold. Her hands are still tied behind her back, her wrists burning from rubbing against the rough rope. Clarke is sure her wrists would be raw and bloody at this point. This time, her legs are also tied together. She isn't sure if it is to prevent another escape attempt or if they tied her legs together so she couldn't kick her capturer if she woke up. She would definitely have to wait to get some of her senses and movement back before she could attempt another escape, so instead of trying to escape right away, she decides to focus on trying to figure out where she is and what the people around her are saying.

This seems to be a bigger challenge than expected, her throbbing head already making it difficult to focus on the words. The voices are all hushed, and the only thing she can make out is the occasional "Wanheda".

The voices die away and the sound of footsteps on gravel turn into that of footsteps on stone flooring. They must have entered a building.

"You are late, they have been waiting for you", says a voice that Clarke hasn't heard before.

"I am here now", the gruff voice sounds from above her.

They come to a halt, then Clarke hears sounds of metal, and something that sounds like turning cogs. It's hard to make out without vision and with the headache of the century.

The rattling sounds make Clarke feel uneasy, but since she is still practically hogtied, gagged, and unable to see, she stays put. Like she has a choice.

A loud knock on a wooden door startles her, and after she is carried through whatever doors just creaked open, the blonde feels her capturer lift her off his shoulder and put her on the ground on her knees surprisingly gently.

"Den lus em au en sis em au op!", [Untie her and help her up!] a vaguely familiar female voice sounds.

Clarke can feel someone slicing a knife quickly through the ropes around her legs, then through the rope around her wrists. Once her arms drop next to her body, she immediately takes advantage of the opportunity to roll her stiff shoulders and rub her burning wrists, not knowing how long her newfound relative freedom will last.

When the blindfold gets taken off, closely followed by the gag, she has to blink against the bright lights while her eyes adjust after being in the dark for so long. The light certainly isn't helping her headache, but she is grateful to be able to see again.

She then feels two strong arms being hooked under her armpits, hauling her upright from her knees while a dark figure gets up from where they had been sitting and steps closer, into the light.

"I told you to bring her to me unharmed, Roan", the figure says, still walking closer.

"Wanheda didn't come easy, Heda", Clarke's capturer, who she now knows is named Roan, responds.