Chapter 6

It's still pitch black in the room when Clarke wakes up from yet another nightmare with a startle. This one was different though. Rather than seeing the faces of those she had killed, she had seen the dead, pale faces of her friends on the oil rig. Nebula, Derrick, and the young Adria. Death, but with their eyes opened wide, a blank stare in their eyes that somehow also looked accusing. And Luna's dead body had been lying in front of her feet on the cold dirt, covered in black blood.

The dark and the nightmare combined with the unfamiliar weight on her chest left her feeling disoriented. She could feel her own breathing getting shallower while trying to make sense of where she was at and what was real and what had been a bad dream.

"Ba...Clarke, what's going on? Are you okay?" Luna's voice sounded soft and a little croaky, still thick with sleep.

And although the sound of the familiar voice had at least cleared up where she was at and that the weight on her chest was that of Luna's resting head, Clarke couldn't calm her breathing.

Clarke sat up on the bed, elbows resting on her knees and her head resting on her hands. She could feel the room spinning and she felt lightheaded.

The people on the oil rig were going to die soon and it would be her fault. They had taken in Wanheda, knowing the risks, knowing that there was a target on her back.

"Clarke, it's okay, I am here, you are safe, we are all safe. Breathe for me, breathe."

Luna's voice sounded like it came from far away, but Clarke tried her hardest to focus on it.

She slowly became aware of Luna's warm hand rubbing soothing circles on her back in a steady pattern.

"Fuck, Luna... I can't... You should have never brought me here, you know my being here puts you all in danger", Clarke uttered as soon as she was able to breathe relatively normally again.

"No, Clarke. You have been such a valuable asset to all of us. If I could do it over, I would've made the exact same decision again in a heartbeat. And besides, I like you... We all like to have you here", Luna says firmly, grateful that the dark hid her red cheeks.

"Do you want to talk about it?", Luna continued.

"No... It's just... I can't lose all of you. I can't lose you... Not like this..."

Luna could sense that Clarke's breathing was getting more erratic again, so she pulled Clarke closer to her, trying her best to comfort the blonde.

"Here, Clarke, lie down with me. Let me hold you. You are safe."

Both women lie back down onto the bed, Luna on her back, holding Clarke tightly in her arms with Clarke's head on her chest.

Luna's slow and steady heartbeat slowly lulled Clarke back into a restless sleep.

--

The next time Clarke woke up it was by the sound of the seagulls squawking loudly. The light filtering through the porthole indicated that it was time to get up and get ready for today's scavenging mission. Luna's arms were still wrapped tightly around her waist and Luna stirred, then tightened her grip around Clarke as soon as the blonde attempted to gently get up from the bed.

"Good morning", Luna said softly, with the hint of a smile on her face.

"Luna, I have to get ready, let go!", Clarke replies firmly, but the amusement she was feeling was clear in her voice.

Luna's unwillingness to let go of her was cute. And she had to admit that staying in the warm bed next to the beautiful, warm woman was tempting.

But they had a mission to go on, so Clarke placed her hands on Luna's arms, gently trying to pry them loose.