Chapter 20

A/N: Hi pals, just popping in to let you know I added TW's to the description a few days ago that will get updated as needed!

--

On her way back to the tower a whirlwind of emotions coursed through Lexa. Anxiety, panic, anger, dread, and hurt. But by the time Lexa reaches the tower, that sense of calm has returned. It was as if being in Clarke's proximity made her irrational, and although she feared for Clarke's life, now that the blonde was gone, she could finally think clearly.

Lexa was determined now; she knew exactly what to do. After all, she had been training for this all her life. All she knew was staying level-headed in the direst of situations. And for now she was, even though she could still feel that anxiety from before simmering right below the surface, ready to wash over her like a wave at any time.

But not now. Not until she brought Clarke home safely.

As soon as Lexa had made it back to the tower, she had awoken the Ambassadors, the Skai People, her Flamekeeper, and her closest confidants, including Aelia. They had all gathered in the throne room, some looking more awake than others.

"Azgeda has taken Wanheda," Lexa starts, but she pauses when an anxious buzz starts sounding in the room.

Abby's face turns pale, Raven and Bellamy look at each other in shock, Octavia grabs the hilt of her sword tightly, and Monty looks around nervously.

"Hosh!" [Quiet!] Lexa says, and the room quickly turns silent again, "This means our plan to attack as Spring arrives will have to change. It is of the utmost importance that we get Wanheda back as soon as possible. Not only is she part of our Coalition, but she is also the Commander of Death. We protect our own people."

Lexa speaks in a calm voice, despite the tension radiating across the room.

She knew what the others, especially the Skaikru were feeling right now. She had felt it only moments before.

"How can we know she isn't dead yet? The Ice Queen might have just gotten it over with, quick and easy, though likely not painless," one of the Ambassadors asks, chuckling at the last part.

"She is still alive. Nia would not have kept murdering Wanheda quiet. If Wanheda was dead, Nia would be standing at our doorstep as we speak, demanding for me to be replaced and bragging about her newfound power. Now, if you'll step onto the balcony with me, Ambassador, I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter and discuss them in private."

And there it was. There was the other reason why she felt strangely calm. At this point in her career, Queen Nia was likely to make a spectacle out of Clarke's death and in order to do that, she would have to warn people of what was coming so that they could come witness the cruel woman as she took Wanheda's power and life. That would give them at least a few days to find and save Clarke. That would keep Clarke safe for now. But they would have to hurry.

Lexa holds out an arm and the Ambassador steps out on the snow-covered balcony, followed by Lexa.

As if in slow-motion, Lexa lifts up her leg and kicks the Ambassador, who is still grinning, off the balcony.

The Commander turns around, addressing the others in the room once again and says, "Let this be a lesson. We do not speak of our own that way. We are not savages."

A still shocked Raven leans over towards Octavia and mumbles, "Is it just me, or was that a bit of an overreaction?"

Lexa, luckily not having caught those words, sends her a stern look, making it clear she is expected to stay silent.