Chapter 9

The walk back to the tower had taken a lot longer than the walk to the market and then the tavern had, and Clarke wasn't sure if that was because she was inebriated or because Indra had taken the long way back in order to avoid the crowds on the market. All Clarke knew for sure was that Indra was clearly annoyed with the pace they were going. She kept looking back at Clarke, who was strolling forward on her crutches with a bored expression on her face. Clarke could have sworn that Indra rolled her eyes at her every time she looked away, that is, if the warrior woman would do such a mundane thing as rolling her eyes at someone.

The sun was high up in the sky at this point though, but Clarke could tell Winter was really setting in. The wind was freezing cold, and it bit into every exposed piece of her skin.

Clarke would have to make sure to bring a cloak next time she came into town, not only to protect her from the cold, but she could also use the hood to hide her face. She did not want to go through another experience like this morning, where everybody recognized her and either cowered away from her in fear or looked up to her in admiration. She wasn't sure which one was worse.

Once back at the tower, the guards at the door were still the same ones that were standing there when she had left this morning. Or at least, she thought they were. Her vision was just a tad bit blurry right now thanks to that golden colored liquid.

Indra coaxed her into the elevator again, and they went up to the top of the tower. There was a set of heavy double doors when they got out of the elevator. Indra walked forward, giving the two guards flanking the doors a command in Trigedaslang that Clarke couldn't make out.

Clarke followed right behind her, as fast as she could go. She had a good idea of where they were at, but she hadn't gotten a chance to explore the tower and figure out where everything was located or what rooms were even inside of the tower.

--

The guards opened both doors wide, and Clarke and Indra walked inside.

Lexa was sitting on her throne in her full Commander gear, The shoulder guard, the sash, he long coat, the dagger strapped to her leg, both of her swords on her back. She wasn't wearing her face paint right now, but regardless, she looked powerful.

She was surrounded by a group of kids, spread out on the floor around her. A bald man in long black robes with an intricate tattoo on the back of his scalp stood to her right.

Lexa looked up for just a short moment when Clarke and Indra entered the throne room, and her emerald green eyes met Clarke's ocean blue ones for just a second, before she continued talking to the children that were surrounding her.

After only a minute or so, she gets up from her throne, dismissing the children, who scurried off towards the elevator, looking up at Clarke curiously as they walked by her through the open doors.

Lexa then looks at Titus and Indra with an almost bored expression on her face and says, "leave us."

Indra immediately protests and says, "Heda, let me stay here, we all saw what happened the last time Wanheda was brought into this room to see you."

A flash of something dangerous crosses over Lexa's face before she replies.

"Shop of, Indra. You heard me. You are dismissed."

Indra looks at her Commander angrily, but then turns on her heels, walking out with Titus, who pulls the double doors closed behind them.

Clarke can feel the anger rising inside of her again, being alone in a room with the woman who betrayed her. When the children were still in the room, she had been distracted, wondering about what had been going on, but now all of those distractions had left, leaving only Lexa.