Chapter 11

Clarke had just gone into her bathroom to freshen up before the ceremony when another soft knock sounded on the door. She sighs exasperated, then walks back into her bedroom, finding that Callie had already let herself in and was splaying out a beautiful midnight blue dress on her bed next to some jars that must contain makeup or face paint.

"Wanheda... Clarke, I came to bring you your clothes for the ceremony tonight."

Clarke looks over the dress appraisingly, then nods and says, "Thank you Callie. I hadn't even thought about what to wear. Thought I would just show up in my leather jacket."

Callie looks at Clarke concerned while shaking her head vigorously.

"No Clarke, the Heda would never allow it. And the ambassadors, what would they say?!"

Clarke had been inwardly chuckling at her own joke, but with the mention of Lexa, her sour mood returned instantly.

"It was... Never mind, okay, thanks Callie, the dress is beautiful."

Callie bows her head in acknowledgement, then steps towards the bed, picking up the jars while Clarke steps back into the bathroom. She combs through her hair after splashing water in her face.

Callie joins her soon thereafter. The girl neatly splays out the little jars on the edge of the tub while beckoning Clarke to come sit down by her.

Callie then proceeds to apply the makeup from the jars on Clarke's cheeks and around her eyes, creating some sort of intricate mask design.

Once the girl finishes, she steps away from Clarke, looking at her own work proudly.

"Okay, Clarke, you are almost ready for the ceremony now. All we need is the dress."

She closes the jars, and walks back out into the bedroom.

Clarke takes a second to look into the mirror in the bathroom, squinting her eyes. The eye makeup was done well, however, it made Clarke feel like one of the Grounders. But she supposed that was the point.

Her makeup somewhat resembled Lexa's, but it looked a bit neater with sharper lines around the edges.

She shrugged a bit uncomfortably, then followed Callie out.

It was just for one night and at least it covered up the bags under her eyes. And it was for the greater good. For her people.

--

Two guards with a spear in their hand open the double doors to the throne room. Lexa strides towards her throne, head held high, back straight, hands clasped behind her back. Her subjects left and right from her all bow. Even Skaikru, although she saw from the corner of her eye that they glanced at each other for a second before doing so. She chose to ignore it this one time since they probably weren't aware of the customs of her people yet, but they would learn soon enough.

The walls are lined with torches and the atmosphere in the room is tense.

Titus stands on her right, and on her left, a short, dark-haired woman starts singing as soon as Lexa nods at her and sits down on her throne.

Lexa leans her head towards Titus, letting her eyes gaze over her subjects. Ambassadors and the most important leaders of each of the eleven clans were in attendance. Only Azgeda hadn't sent any delegates to witness the thirteenth clan joining the coalition. This was an act of war and Lexa knew she would have to deal with it sooner rather than later.

"Bring her in."

Titus nods at the guards by the door, who once again open the double doors.

Lexa's mouth almost dropped open when the blue-clad figure with the golden locks came into view, but she managed to simply swallow and remain stoic as ever. Luckily, everyone had turned towards the doors once they had opened and Wanheda stepped through.