Chapter 24

The following morning Lexa wakes up as Clarke is still sleeping. Lexa sits up and views the beautiful blonde's face. A soft smile graces Lexa's features while she is watching over her favorite person on this planet and in space.

But soon her smile falters as Clarke's face scrunches up in fear and the blonde starts thrashing in the sheets.

Lexa rushes over to her bedside and gently shakes her trying to wake her up without startling her.

Clarke's eyes fly open, and she places her face in her hands, breathing heavily.

When she looks up again, her cheeks are tearstained and her eyes are bloodshot, but they stay cast down.

Lexa doesn't get the chance to try to talk to the blonde or calm her own, because soon thereafter, Callie brings in breakfast, and Lexa requests her to bring up hot water to fill the bathtub as well.

Again, Clarke doesn't move from the bed and spends more time pushing her eggs and fruits around on her plate than actually eating anything. And again, Lexa's pleading does nothing to convince Clarke to eat any more.

She does finally chug the water that was brought in, but when her cup is empty, she lies back down and curls up on her side with her back facing Lexa.

Once Callie has filled the tub with hot water, Lexa walks into the bathroom, sticking her hand in the water to make sure it's the right temperature. Then, she picks out one of her personal favorite soaps and pours it in the tub, swishing the water around until the water is covered by a layer of soapy bubbles.

Unsurprisingly, Clarke hasn't moved at all when she returns to the room.

Lexa moves until she is standing by the bed where Clarke is facing her.

"Clarke, are you ready for your bath? The tub is ready for you. I can get Callie to help you, or I can help you, or you can do it by yourself if you would like?"

When Clarke doesn't acknowledge her once again, Lexas reaches for Clarke and she carefully takes ahold of the blonde's hands,

The skin of her hands is soft, but they feel cold and clammy.

"Come on, Clarke. It'll make you feel better," Lexa pleads.

Something in her voice must have penetrated into Clarke's brain because her eyes almost meet Lexa's when they flick up to the brunette's forehead and she lifts herself up with a groan of pain before pulling her hands free.

Clarke slowly moves to the bathroom and closes the door, leaving Lexa in the bedroom.

First, Clarke pulls off her pants. Then, she grabs the hem of her shirt but whimpers out in pain and clutches her side as she tries to raise her arms above her head to take off the piece of fabric.

Worriedly, Lexa knocks on the bathroom door and says, "Clarke, are you okay?' Panic evident in her voice.

Another pained yelp has Lexa saying, "I am coming in, Clarke."

When she opens the door, that luckily remained unlocked, she sees Clarke sitting on the edge of the tub, doubled over in pain in her underwear and a half-removed shirt.

Lexa immediately notices the barely healed cuts on the blonde's legs, and it takes a moment for her to lift her gaze and step closer to Clarke.

She was aware of what had been done to Clarke, but she hadn't dared to look while Abby was treating her daughter, so she had yet to see the full extent of the younger woman's injuries.

"Clarke, do you need help? Should I send for Callie?" Lexa asks.

Clarke shakes her head, still bend over while she starts pulling her shirt up again.