Chapter 23

Lexa wasn't able to urge her horse forward nearly as fast as she wanted to. She had to keep switching from a slow trot to an even slower walk. Not to not tire out the horse. Lexa cared for her horse in the sense that he was a great tool for her to use, but there were different horses. There was only one of Clarke.

She had to reign in the speed frequently to pull Clarke, who kept slowly sliding off the horse, back on properly so they wouldn't both topple to the ground together.

It took all of Lexa's strength, balance, and horse-riding skills to keep them both in the saddle.

And what was worse, about fifteen minutes into the ride, Lexa's adrenaline from the fight had worn off. This meant that she was shivering against Clarke, who was wearing Lexa's only cloak, and the pain in her shoulder had come in full force, rendering her arm almost useless.

And Clarke's lack of body heat wasn't keeping her warm either unfortunately.

An hour or two into the ride, Lexa could hear the roaring of an engine coming closer to her and she sighs in relief as soon as the black Rover comes into view.

Raven is behind the wheel, and she stays in the car as Bellamy, one of her Grounder guards, and Abby hop out the back and rush towards them.

Bellamy reaches his arms up towards Clarke as he gets to the horse and Lexa hesitantly unwraps her arms from the blonde and helps Bellamy to get her down as best as she can with her uninjured arm. Then, Bellamy cradles Clarke in his arms and carries her to the back of the Rover where he lays her on a makeshift cot. Abby follows close behind them and she immediately starts tending to Clarke's worst injuries, starting with the gash on her neck that Lexa tried to sew up as best as she could.

Lexa swings her leg over her horse and hops off gracefully without using her hands, but she winces as she feels the shock from her feet hitting the ground in her shoulder.

She nods at her Grounder guard, who bows her head. Then, she quickly commands her guard to ride her horse back to Polis so that she can ride on the Rover with the Sky People. And with Clarke.

The guard immediately obeys, hops on the horse, and gallops away before Lexa has reached the vehicle.

Lexa gets in the back with Abby and Clarke and Bellamy closes the doors behind her before he takes the seat next to Raven, who starts the car, turns it around and starts making her way back to Polis.

Abby picks up a pair of scissors and cuts down the front of Clarke's shirt, then she cuts open Clarke's pants, revealing the skin covered in cuts below the torn fabric. Lexa averts her eyes as soon as more skin is revealed, not wanting to look at Clarke's body without her permission.

Abby dresses the gash on Clarke's neck after disinfecting it before moving down and disinfecting really most of Clarke's body. She neatly sews the deepest of the slashes, her forehead wrinkled in concentration the entire time.

"Commander, a hand please? I need to turn her over so I can tend to her back," Abby says as soon as she finishes.

Lexa helps Abby as they work together to flip Clarke onto her stomach on the cot, then Abby proceeds to sew up the worst cuts there as well after disinfecting everything.

Meanwhile, Lexa looks at the trees through the window as they fly by.

Clarke hadn't woken up once the entire time they were riding on her horse or while she was being sewn back together.

Lexa supposed she should be grateful as she was sure Clarke would be in a tremendous amount of pain, but it worried her.

After Abby was done with the sewing, she wiped the blood off her hands, then she asked Lexa for help to flip Clarke over for a second time.