Chapter 15

Aelia reaches a hand out to Clarke to pull her off the ground and the touch lingers for just a moment too long to be considered casual.

"You did better than I was expecting", Aelia says with a bright smile on her face. The smile soon disappears when she hears Lexa scrape her throat next to them and she turns serious once she notices the cold look in Lexa's eyes.

She and Lexa had never been close. It was nearly impossible to get close to the Heda after all. But Aelia had been one of Lexa's closest confidants and best warriors since Lexa was chosen by the flame and both women had always respected each other's leadership and fighting skills.

"A word, Aelia. Wanheda, you are dismissed. You're expected here again tomorrow at the same time to continue your training. Earlier actually since you were late today."

Clarke blinks slowly in an effort to avoid rolling her eyes or letting out an annoyed huff of air. They were not alone, and she had an image to maintain.

"Yes, Commander. Bye Blue, see you soon!"

The two brunettes stand in silence for a few moments until Clarke is out of earshot.

"What do you think you are doing sleeping with Wanheda?", Lexa hisses, unable to keep the anger out of her voice.

"Heda, I did not know who she was when I slept with her. You know I am not in the habit of mixing business and pleasure."

"Right", Lexa says, unconvinced, "then what was the shameless flirting about just now?"

"At this point, we have already been intimate, so a little flirting can't hurt."

"It might", Lexa says darkly. "If you don't want to discover whether you can defy gravity, you'll act like a professional from now on. Wanheda is. Off. Limits." Lexa continues, putting emphasis on those last two words.

Aelia bows her head in resignation, a tad confused at her Heda's sudden outburst. It's not like she was a threat to Wanheda. Not like Azgeda or any bounty hunter. And it wasn't like her Heda to lose her composure like this.

"Yes, Heda. Is there anything else I can do for you?"

"No. Just make sure to see me after training tomorrow to brief me on Wanheda's progress."

Again, Aelia bows her head in acknowledgement, then picks up the duffle bag and strides back towards the city.

When Aelia is out of sight, Lexa sighs deeply.

Seeing the two women touch and kiss last night and hearing them as they explored each other's bodies had been torture. And seeing and hearing them flirt and provoke each other this morning was just a cruel reminder of last night.

Lexa was about to rub her tired eyes before stopping herself. She was wearing war paint, and it would get everywhere if she had done that.

Taking another couple of deep breaths to calm down, Lexa finally starts heading towards the tower herself to get ready for yet another long day of meetings.

--

The day had passed in a blur of meetings, during which Titus had repeatedly nudged Lexa subtly in the ribs whenever she was seemingly getting lost in thought.

Lexa had gotten frustrated, but mainly with herself. How was the blonde occupying so much space in her mind when she had more important things to focus on? For goodness' sake, there was a war brewing. A war that could mean the end of her life, and more importantly, the end of her Coalition and her people.

She really couldn't afford to be distracted.

Once the last meeting of the day had finished, Lexa went and checked up on Raven and Monty's progress.