Chapter 13

Lexa sits up a bit straighter and lets her gaze linger on the blonde when she almost stumbles into the room. The other Skai People had already arrived minutes before Clarke and they had been having generally friendly conversation, side eying Lexa occasionally when they thought she wasn't looking.

It seems like Clarke wasn't the only one who hadn't forgotten and forgiven Lexa for her betrayal at Mount Weather.

Clarke's eyes find Lexa's immediately, but she looks away instantly when noticing Lexa is already looking back at her.

Lexa could tell Clarke hadn't slept much yet again by her slumped shoulders and her noticeably tired eyelids. Neither had Lexa though, but her tiredness was hidden under the black eye paint.

Lexa had laid awake for most of the night, angry with herself for messing up once again with Clarke. And the occasional loud thud of something hitting the wall, startling her from her thoughts, hadn't helped either. But Clarke sure looked worse for wear.

Her being covered in paint intrigued Lexa like nothing else. What could Clarke possibly have been painting all night after their escapades?

Titus' soft cough alerted Lexa that everyone was now looking at her unexpectedly.

Lexa pulls up the collar of her shirt, checking on herself to make sure her stoic mask is still in place and she hadn't slipped while eyeing Clarke carefully.

"Thank you for coming to Polis, Skaikru. I hope your accommodations have been up to par. I am sure you are all still tired from your travels, but unfortunately we have a dire situation at our hands. Now that the Maunon have been defeated thanks to your bravery, we have a new threat lurking. Azgeda, the Ice Nation has made it clear they want a war. We need to stop them before many innocent lives are lost. Kongeda and all of our people are at risk if and when Azgeda attacks."

Clarke flinches barely noticeable when Lexa calls her actions at the Mountain bravery.

"Why should we trust you? Why should we risk our people's lives just to save yours?", Raven speaks angrily.

"As you know, Raven, your people are in fact my people. I am doing what is best for us all. And you were not here when Kongeda didn't exist yet. You did not see the daily bloodshed. The lives that were lost to pointless violence over petty disputes such as territory. Peace wasn't easily achieved, and it's not easily maintained, but it is imperative that the Coalition holds. As Heda, a move against me is a move against the Coalition and visa versa. I know you are smart enough to deduct what might happen if Kongeda falls, which it will if we don't stop Azgeda soon."

Raven holds eye contact with the Commander while swallowing back the words that had been laying on the tip of her tongue.

Lexa nods at her gratefully, then proceeds to look over the others gathered in the room, lingering on Clarke for just a bit longer once again.

"Now that that is out of the way, let's discuss the plan. The ambassadors, including Clarke and myself have discussed what will be expected of each clan to prepare for war. Bellamy, you and the one you call Miller will have to train thirty fighters of each clan in shooting your guns. We have had many guns stored and locked away for decades now but were never able to train with them as you know. The Maunon would have killed us all with their fog. In return, my best fighters and Octavia will train your people in hand-to-hand combat as well as fighting with swords and knives and spear throwing", Lexa says, looking at the siblings directly. Surprisingly, neither one of them are showing any signs of disagreement.

"Abby, please meet my healers later. I think there is a lot we can learn from each other when it comes to medicine. And though I sincerely hope we will not need to use our shared knowledge; it will be best to be prepared just in case."