CHAPTER 45

Ryujin's POV

If I could be a professional fighter, I would pursue it. I've been in this competition once. I guess my performance back then is better.

"for the sake of equality, we won't be able to face each other." Chris, who made it to the lineup, showed up with his equipment.

"let me help you wrap them up, then." I smiled at him. I started to help him putting on his hand wrap. "talked to Changbin?"

"yep. Both him and Sohee made it." Chris informed.

"I figured. Sohee didn't say anything, but I know she made it this time." I have no bad blood or anything. I'll support her in this, as well as the others.

"you know, she got better potential than you, not gonna lie. But you practice harder than her. so, no surprise." Chris sounds reassuring. "coach gave her a chance this year."

"good for her." I lightly smiled. "welp, you're good to go. We better get some more warm ups."

Soon enough, we all gathered at the locker room for a short briefing. The coach walks up to us, wating to get our attention.

"so here we are. This is all just formalities and I don't want you guys to be pressured. If you guys have personal problems within yourselves, set that aside, please. Just focus on your training." The coach smiles at us, giving us some words of encouragements. "for you guys who are really competing, I want you guys to do your best. Don't let them underestimate what we have." He then clasps his hands and huffs. "let's get out there."

I haven't faced Sohee for a while. I don't wanna feel awkward, yet I feel so right now. So, for the "showcase" we have to fight each other until there are only four of us, two guys, two girls. The coach decided who'll face who in the beginning. I guess this will be a long day.

All of us heads down to the gymnasium, entering the court with pretty much a lot of confidence. I look around the audience, and noticed Yeji, Zuha, Julia, and Sunoo there. I wave at them and smile. That's before I see Jake beside Sunoo.

"didn't know she's close with Jake." Sohee, who's standing next to me, whispered.

"we don't want him in our way, do we?" I smirked and scoffed. "set that aside. Let's show her what we have."

-

Well, this is exhausting. I didn't notice that we have this many members. After the female members already fought against each other, the male members started their own rounds. After those long fights, the finals are already here.

"you're pretty good." I said to my sister. "please don't get your anger take over." I giggled.

"chill out. We're in this fair game. We'll fight fairly." She replied as we do our fist-bumps.

The referee blow out his whistle and we both get in our stance. One of her advantages is that she's good at analysing her opponents based on what I see earlier. I can't be impulsive as well. she knows me.

I don't know why she didn't land any strikes at me and only dodged or avoided mine. I gotta be careful, of course. I decided to just go for her leg. I'm aware that I'm not as strong with it, but this is kickboxing. I gotta use it once in a while.

Alas, she catches my lower leg and strikes my face. Fucking hell, I fall back immediately. I quickly get up and just get back to my stance. This won't work. I can't just blindly throw punches at her.

"c'mon, Sohee. That tickled me a bit. I'm just checking you out." I provoked her.

"tickled? That's funny, Ryu." Sohee took my bait. Right after saying that, she launched at me with her full power, constantly hitting me and kicking me.

"yeah, that's what I'm talking about." I put my hand up, covering the left side of my face. Just when I see an opening, I strike her with a right hook.

I'm fucked. She's too fast. She managed to block it and return the hook to my left side. Before I know it, her lower leg hits the side of my face. I lose my balance and fall again. Honestly, I'm embarrassed. But, I'm proud of her. she must've trained harder when she knew about the lineup.

"good one, sis." I smiled at her and she helps me to get up.

"you almost got me there." She chuckled and gave me a friendly hug. "good luck with the shit talks."

"fuck you."

With a good laugh, we part ways, and watch the rest of the fight.

-

Back at the locker room, Changbin approaches me when I'm packing my things.

"did you purposely do that?" he asked. "I thought you're good."

"I am good. But, she's better." I just admit it. "she's been practicing, I see."

"she's surprised. Talked to coach, he said he's giving her a chance." Changbin informed. "that was an interesting fight, though. I know you're holding back."

"pretty much." I stifled. "good luck for yourself. I'll watch you."

"thanks, man."

I walk out of the locker room and find Zuha, Yeji, and Julia waiting for me outside the gym.

"you were so cool." Yeji said. "I thought you'd beat her. we just met her earlier."

"oh, really?" I just gave them a light smile. "she's good too, right?"

"she is! I thought she'd lose against you." Yeji's eyes are twinkling. Up to this point, I just accept the fact that she's positive like that. "but, you still look kinda hot."

"there she is." I playfully rolled my eyes. I then look at Zuha. "hang out at my place after this."

"roger that." Zuha gave me a salute.

"what about me?" Yeji chimed in.

"we'll meet later, okay? you can go back to sleep or something." I stifled. "I gotta go. Need to wash up and rest after all that."

"okay." Yeji smiled at me. She then quickly pecks my cheek. "see you later."

If she only knew how she made me feel.