CHAPTER 41

Yeji's POV

I'm with Julia and Sohee right now. it's kinda of a rare occasion that we can hang out together so freely like this. usually, one of us would have to go earlier.

"...but you were kind of a jerk! I almost hated you." we're just talking about our past. I don't know why it comes to this topic when at first we're talking about one of those frat boys.

"hahaha... but you ended up giving me a chance." Sohee laughed, looking at me.

"well, well... I guess you guys are about to fight again." Julia said in annoyance.

"fight? What for?" Sohee wondered, raising her eyebrow. "oh, you're that close with Ryujin?"

"she's confusing, almost pissing me off. She thinks she got me? I feel like I'm just a toy." I huffed. "you can't get my body and heart at the same time. the hell she thinks she is?"

"do you always talk shit about other people like this?" Sohee's tone is unreadable.

"Not really. Only when it bothers me." I looked down. "if only she-"

I got cut off by knocking on the door.

"Yeji~"

"I'll get it." Sohee offered and she goes to the door.

I can't see who's in front of her, but by the sound of it, it must be Ryujin. A smile creeped out of my face as I approach them.

"Ryujin!" I jumped into her and gave her a big tight hug. "I missed you."

"you did?" Ryujin plainly asked. I noticed she didn't hug me back.

"ah, come in, sis." Sohee moved out of the way, letting Ryujin enter. "did you bring anything? We're kinda hungry. You should've told us that you're-"

"shut the fuck up." Ryujin got that look in her eyes. there's fire burning inside her, begging to be taken out on someone. In this case, maybe, Sohee.

"well, suit yourself." Sohee throws her a playful smile, which make Ryujin's ears red in anger.

"I'm glad you're here." I hold her hand and guide her to sit at the couch. Sohee is sitting on the single couch. "you must be so tired. Did you get enough sleep? You didn't reply to me that often anymore."

"I'm sorry for that." A chuckle escaped Ryujin's mouth. "hey, Julia."

"hi, Ryu. I heard you've been busy with thesis. At first I didn't believe it that you start that early." Julia strike up a conversation. Maybe, she too, felt the tension.

"you didn't believe it either? Damn. Do I look like someone who's incompetent?" Ryujin frowned. "I'm not that much of a slacker, you know?" she bragged.

"yeah, yeah, I believe you." Julia chuckles.

"and now, I need a refresh." Ryujin smiles, looking at me. "I meant to meet you alone, but, I don't mind having some friends over." She ruffles my hair.

"I've been here for enough time, anyway. I'll leave then." Sohee stood up and grabs her phone. "you don't want me here, do you, sis?"

Ryujin's gaze follows her every move. I can't seem to read her. at this point, Sohee is smiling playfully, as if mocking Ryujin. Are they in kind of a fight again?

"I'll head out now. Have fun..." Sohee looks at Ryujin. "... sister." She added a wink as she disappear behind the door.

"what happened?" I asked Ryujin about it. there's no way she's jealous and would explode like Sohee, right? I'm starting to feel a bit scared.

"nothing. I'm just glad that she's gone." Ryujin relaxed herself, leaning back on the couch, and lets out a deep breath. She then smiles at me. "I haven't talked to her lately. I only talk to Jieun."

"why? We heard her talking about you. I thought you guys are fine." Julia wondered.

"did she? She must've talked with Jieun often." Ryujin nods slowly. "oh, I'm here because I just wanna see you." Ryujin looks at me. "I realised I've been absent most of the times and I wanna make more time for you."

"I better leave you guys alone, then. Yeji was dying to see you." Julia giggles.

"I'll just take her to my room." I stood up before Julia does and grab Ryujin's hand.

"I'm gonna be alone here anyway." Julia stifles. "alright guys. Have fun."

Me and Ryujin entered my room. I sit on my bed and she sits beside me. We kind of stuck in an awkward silence. I sense that Ryujin has something in her mind. Maybe she's still thinking about her assignments.

"so... what have you been doing?" Ryujin asked me with a sweet smile, almost manipulating me to think that nothing's wrong. I have this gut feeling that I might've done something wrong.

"nothing much. I have a new friend!" I remembered about Jake. "he's in the basketball team. I don't know why I haven't seen him around that much. Maybe, because he's too busy practicing with her friends." I shared. "oh, what about you?"

"I do have a new friend as well. Connected by the same professor, though." Ryujin stifles. "so, it's a 'he'?"

"Yep. His name is Jake. He said that he's famous, though I rarely seen him. Maybe only in his field, so I don't really know." I shrugged. "how about your new friend?"

"oh, Jake? The 'sort of' captain of the team?" Ryujin's eyebrows raised. "I've seen him at the café the other day. My new friend is a huge fan of him. His name is Sunoo."

"I know that guy! He's famous on Instameter. Julia told me about him." I get excited. "how lucky. How's he? Is he kind? Nice? Friendly?"

"way to friendly." Ryujin chuckles. But, still, I feel something is missing from her. "it made sense that you say he's famous. He knows almost everyone on campus. Unlike me, people know me, but I don't know them." she bragged a little.

"by the way, is there something on your mind that you wanna talk about?" I dared to ask.

"nothing. Why? It seems like you're the one that have it." Ryujin smiles a little, her eyes looked straight into mine as if she wants to uncover me. "did you grew tired of me? Or maybe you're just bored and decided to go for my sister again?"

"what?" my heart stopped for a second and my stomach churns as cold sweats appears on my back, sending shivers down my spine. "why would you say that?" I swear, if she exploded like Sohee, I'd cut them both off.

"I've been noticing you hanging out with her lately. Did she say anything? I don't want her to take a chance while I'm unavailable and not around you." Ryujin lets out a deep breath and looked down. I'm a little glad. I thought she got the same temper.

"I think it's time to settle this."