15

CHARON AND DOGS

The quartet stood in the shadows of Valencia Boulevard, looking up at gold letters etched in black marble: DOA RECORDING STUDIOS

Underneath, stenciled on the glass doors: NO SOLICITORS. NOLOITERING. NO LIVING.

It was almost midnight, but the lobby was brightly lit and full of people. Behind the security desk sat a tough looking guard with sunglasses and an earpiece.

Percy turned to his three friends saying. "Okay. You remember the plan."

"The plan," Grover gulped. "Yeah, I love the plan."

"Yeah, I love it so much that I'd eat meat for a day," Grover grumbled as he remembered the crazy plan.

Annabeth said, "What if the plan doesn't work?"

"If it doesn't, fuck the plan. We'll make a new one on the way, so don't think negative, Brainy," (Name) gave her friend a side hug, reassuring her.

The aurors nodded at how her style of thinking.

"Right," the blonde said. "We're entering the Land of the Dead and I shouldn't think negative."

Percy took the pearls out of his pocket, the four milky spheres the Nereid had given him in Santa Monica. They didn't seem like much of a backup in case something went wrong.

Annabeth put her hand on Percy's shoulder. "I'm sorry, Percy. You're right, we'll make it. It'll be fine."

"Not fine at all," Annabeth muttered, shaking her head, even if they made it there, they were always attacked everywhere.

She gave Grover a nudge.

"Oh, right!" he chimed in. "We got this far. Well, find the master bolt and save your mom. No problem."

"Yup, we got this, Percy," (Name) said with slight confidence but her white highlights on her hair said otherwise.

Percy looked at the three of them and felt really grateful. Only a few minutes before, he'd almost got them stretched to death on deluxe waterbeds, and now they were trying to be brave for his sake, trying to make him feel better.

Percy slipped the pearls back in his pocket. "Let's whup some Underworld butt."

"Hell yeah!" Some yelled at the statement. "Kick some monster's arses!"

The pranksters, demigods and satyr snorted as they thought of the pun.

.
.
.

They walked inside the DOA lobby. Killer Queen was played loudly on hidden speakers. (Name) was naturally bobbing her head at the beats, enjoying the song.

Sirius was also bobbing his head and dancing in his seat to the song at the same time as his daughter.

Some were looking at her, a bit weirded out.