"You're not drunk." Versa pointed out, her eyes trailing down to my steady feet. She lifted up her gaze and met my eye. "Water?" she inquired, even though she knew the answer to her own question. It was what we used to do, feign being drunk and see how our acting would be rated.

I nodded at her slowly. "I'm sorry, I couldn't just-"

Versa ignored me and looked over my shoulder. "What has she done for you to be like this?" she asked straight out, not taking any corners or any halts. It shot right out of her.

I blinked at her tone, taken aback by the sharpness of it. She took a step away from Ryan and started to walk towards us. My back was still turned to Link so I couldn't see his reaction to all of this but I prayed to myself that he wouldn't tell her.

He couldn't tell her why he was doing all of this. It would hurt her.

"Link, please answer me." Versa was standing right next to me now and she was facing the culprit himself. I slowly turned, my breath simultaneously leaving my body.

Link was looking at Versa now, his eyes scanning up and down her body, across her face, through her eyes. He was analysing her, for a reason that was unclear and just added fuel to my panic.

"Versa, please leave it alone." I whispered at her, grabbing her upper arm. I tugged on it but she was quick to snatch it away.

"No!" She yelled, "I want to know what your," she pointed her finger at Link, "problem is with my best friend. Her life is a mess and it's all because you came back. We don't even know you anymore! But here you are, making our life's a living hell and God knows I've been through hell already."

Link's jaw clenched at Versa's outburst. I had a feeling he knew exactly what happened to her and it shaped his view of her. "Versa, just listen to your friend." Link started to say. "And go."

"No!" She exclaimed, throwing her hands up. She pushed closer to him until she was right under his nose. "Don't treat me like glass, Link." She snarled at him, the warning clear in her tone. "Don't you dare look down on me and think that I can't take it."

I grabbed her hand quickly and tried to pull her back. When she snatched her hand away again I knew I couldn't do anything. I turned to Ryan, sending out a silent plea.

"You can't take it." Link told her, taking a step back just as Ryan came to Versa's side.

I saw Versa's face boil up with what Link said but she contained her anger. She said something then, something that both warmed my heart and surprised me. "Link, listen to me and you listen carefully. If you so much as touch her or do anything to hurt her believe me when I say I will personally see to your lifelong torment and possible end."

Link raised his eyebrow at her. "In order words, I'm a dead man?"

Versa huffed out loudly. "Yes!"

A wry look overcame his face. "Looking forward to it."

Versa half-screamed half-sneered at Link. "I mean it!"

"I'll see you around." With a flick of his two fingers, ever so cool, Link turned on his heel and walked away.

I let out the breath I was holding in when Link disappeared into the shadows. Everyone was still back around the front, enjoying the booze and the thrill of the night. I had to call an end to the night because the only thing I really wanted to do right now was crawl in my bed and sleep.

And then grab Versa and leap into a different continent.

_

_