42

~🍇

Yoshio's POV

"....."

Sniff... Sniff...

I furrowed my eyebrows while I was reading my book, what's that sound? I thought. I ignored it but the sniffles turned into soft sobs.

I was too focused on reading the book, I reached out my hand to grab my hot cup of chocolate drink, a new drink that we ordered earlier.

I turned around to look at Hazel, but my eyes widen in shock to see her crying in her sleep. I immediately closed the book and put it aside.

"Hazel, Hazel. Wake up, why are you crying?"

Why is she crying in her sleep? Is she having nightmares? Did I do something wrong? I shook Hazel's shoulders to wake her up and she finally opened her eyes.

"H-huh?"

She's probably having a bad dream.

"Why are you crying? Did you had a bad dream?" I asked worriedly.

"A-ah... Yeah... I'm sorry about that." She replied, wiping off her tears with her hands.

I knew it.

Manual breathing mode on, I panicked internally and rummaged on my memories to find something useful from observing human interaction these past years and what do they do when someone's damn crying in front of them.

Think, Yoshio. Think!

I've seen parents, mostly mothers, shove their children's head on their breast when they're crying as a mean of comfort and hushing them with a pat on their back- but the problem is, I don't have boobs.

I take a deep breath and let out a heavy sigh. I gently pulled her to my chest to embrace her. I was hesitant but ended up patting her back gently.

"Don't smear too much snot on my shirt, okay. It's new."

It was unnecessary thing to say, but it felt like I need to say something. The shirt I'm wearing is one of the clothes she bought for me, I just don't want to damage expensive clothes.

So, anyways, back to comforting my wife. I keep patting her back gently then I noticed her shoulders slumping down. But what she did next surprises me, she slowly wrapped her arms around my waist, hugging me back.

"Mhm. Thanks." She mumbled.

"Hush now– I don't know what kind of bad dream you're having but- I'm here, you're safe."

Well, I hope that works. I leaned aback comfortably, keeping the gentle pace of stroking her back while resting my chin on top of her head. Doing so amidst of it was a slow discovery of a new feeling. Somewhat dizzying, and strange, as if someone's putting me at the verge of drowsiness. Guess, this wasn't so bad at all.

"Thank you, Yoshio..." She mumbled again. All of the sudden, she starts snuggling me. "Awieee~ you're so warm~ can we hug like this all the time?"

I looked down, poking her head then she tilted her head up to look at me.

"See that?" I cocked my head at the window, conveying to her what I'm talking about. Hazel pursed in her lips and frowned. "Yes, yes. You get what I mean."

I nodded, flashing a smile at her. I didn't notice I was combing her hair with my fingers, my fingertips kissing her scalp ever so delicately.

Also, what I said is just a joke.

"You... Gonna throw your wife out...?" She asked me with a frown and stopped snuggling me. When she stopped snuggling, unabashedly, I admit I got disappointed there, maybe a bit.