Chapter 88

"Mrs... Judy, you're saying you didn't know of anyone who would want your husband dead, maybe someone from work"? Spade repeated the question again as he watched her, she was suddenly acting nervous and suspicious, her eyes moved quizzically at both men, he knew she was hiding something

She looked at both of them, still rocking her child who was still playing and blabbing stuff
"Look, I already told you, Liam doesn't talk about work at home, and I already told the cops everything I know, he didn't have any enemies I knew of" she rushed out

Spade let out a deep breath, turning to look at Nate, who's face wasn't giving away anything.
"Alright"

She nodded, the child in her hands started crying, making her get up and bounce him up and down in her arms, trying to stop him from crying

"What's his name"? Nate asked, making Spade to turn to him, the woman also looked at him

"David" she whispered with a small smile, the child was already playing again.
"Liam's funeral is tomorrow" she muttered her eyes still on the child, but when she finally looked up, there was sadness in them.
"Would I be seeing the both of you"?

Spade turned to look at Nate, seeing the young man didn't have an answer fit for the question, he decided to step in
"Yes, we will be there"

Nate did a double take on him, his mind already wondering when they'd discussed that and when he'd agreed to go to the funeral, he didn't even know they were having a funeral.

Spade couldn't think of a way to get her to talk without compromising a lot of things, one of them being the real identity of her husband.
Instead he got up, making Nate to look at him
"Thank you very much for the warm welcome, we'll be on our way now"

Nate slowly got up too, she gave them both a warm smile
"You're welcome"

Spade was thinking of dropping his card here but that would be too risky, considering the cops had been frequenting her house a lot, and the fact that she's definitely hiding something from him, she would definitely not hesitate to show the cops his card, letting them know he was here.

And since the cops didn't tell her yet about her husband's involvement in the mafia, that means they know, and him being here and at the same party Liam was shot would he putting him on their list of suspects.

Instead he turned and walked towards the door while Nate followed behind him, he turned the knob and pulled it open, stepping outside into the porch, and Nate followed him.

Without looking back, he walked down the flight of stairs and then headed for his car.
He unlocked the door, pulling it open, Nate walked around to the other side, standing close to the door.
Spade looked at the door, she had closed it.
"She's hiding something" he muttered, before he entered the car and shut the door.

Nate did the same, scrunching his brows at Spade's statement.
How could he tell she was hiding something?

Nate sat himself inside the car and buckled up before Spade backed away from the compound and drove back into the deserted road.

Unlike the first time when they had a slight conversation before they got to the house, even though it ended in a slight argument, they didn't talk to each other, the car was silent until Spade pulled up in front of Nate's apartment building.

Nate didn't know if he should say something or just go into the building, but then again, if he wanted to say something, what would he say? Apologise? He didn't really do anything he was supposed to apologise for.

He was about to unbuckle his seatbelt when Spade's voice stopped him
"Wait" he paused and like clockwork Nate stopped and turned to face him.
He sighed out, his face showing the conflict he was feeling inside about what he was about to talk about
"Look I know you're not exactly happy about how our last talk went, but I don't know how I'm going to explain to you that things don't work that way in the underworld" he paused again, his eyes scanning Nate's face as he tried to determine what the young man was thinking.