Chapter 54

He felt the small boy wrap his hands around his clutching onto him tightly as if his life depended on it.
They heard another crash and a loud scream followed, making the boy beside him shudder a bit, the louder the crash got, the closer the small boy clutched onto him.

He could hear his light whimpers, making him take in deep breaths, he had to be the bigger of both of them, being the eldest, he had to be stronger for both of them.

He stroked the smaller boy's hand, trying to soothe him and reduce the fear the boy was feeling.
"Gio" the boy whisper making Spade to look down at him, seeing the tears welling up in his eyes and the way his lips trembled
"Are we gonna be okay"? He whispered, making Spade tighten his hold on the boy's hands, he wanted to tell him it was gonna be okay, that they were gonna be okay, but he would be lying to both of them, himself more.
He swallowed hard, before stroking the boy's hair.

"We're gonna be fine" he whispered barely audible even for his own ears.
He looked away from the boy and at the door, silently praying In his mind for the noise to stop, or at least reduce a bit.

He bit on his lower lip hard, feeling it drawing blood, as he tried to take his mind off the noise and clattering sounds coming from downstairs.
He felt the boy's fingers dig deep into his own skin, making him grimace and shut his eyes.

He could feel his own heart hammering hard against his chest, his fear was slowly consuming him, he was only putting on a brave font because of the kid clutching onto him for his dear life.

How long would they keep going like this?
This was even one of the best days yet, at least they were spared today from the wrath of their father, unlike other days when he would take out his anger on them, telling them they needed to be men at an early age.

Gio had the marks to show for it, he always tried his best to protect his brother from it, day in day out, he preferred if it were him who took the beatings, the young boy beside him couldn't even take half of what he took.

He rubbed his back, soothing him and shushing him at the same time, they were hiding out as always, but they could hear the screams of their mother from where they hid, making it even more painful and excruciatingly frustrating.

His eyes moved to the kid beside him and he felt the need to protect him, protect him with all he's got.

The screaming and sounds downstairs suddenly stopped making him look at the door, he could hear the thumping sounds of footsteps, he held his breath in his throat, he could feel his heart run to his throat.
He started counting, hoping the man passed by without stopping and just like that the footsteps grew louder, he felt the boy beside him start to shake as his hands gripped tighter on his clothes

He rubbed soothing circles on the back of the boy, all the while holding his own breath, until they heard the footsteps pass them by, moving farther away from them and fading away, they both could finally breathe as they let out deep sighs of relief.

He looked at the kid beside him, and slowly unlatched his hands from his clothes, he tried to get up but the kid's eyes held him posted there, pleading for him not to get up, but he placed his hands on the kid
"I'm gonna be back okay, just stay here" he whispered and the boy looked at him, blue doe, innocent and scared eyes before he slowly nodded.

Spade moved slowly and gently, he opened the closet door, peeking out to make sure they were alone.
He sighed out when he realized they were indeed alone, he looked back at the boy and slowly he stepped out, shutting the door behind him making sure the kid was safe and secure, he walked out of the room, opening the door gently, not to make any sounds, he stepped out and looked down the hall, his eyes landing on the door of his father's study, he swallowed and quickly he ran as fast as his tiny ten year old legs could carry him, he ran towards the stairs and straight for the living room.