Chapter 44

Spade shoved his hands into his pocket as he narrowed his eyes on the man in front of him, he'd never personally met him but being the kind of person he was, he'd heard about him, after all he was one the person that wanted him in cuffs and locked away

"To what do I owe this surprise visit"? He asked looking at all three of them, Matteo was already at alert as he watched them too, he could tell Spade just looked relaxed, nothing about this confrontation was relaxing or even okay.

"A surprise indeed" the police chief muttered before taking two steps closer to Spade, he watched his every move, waiting to see if he would react to anything done or said, he'd heard a lot about Spade, he'd never met him before but he was one of his greatest challenge since becoming the police chief, he was patiently waiting for the day where he'd have Spade at his mercy and that day was fast approaching, with the amount of information he was gathering on him, it wouldn't take long before he would pin him and have him behind bars.
"I'm here to ask you a few questions, if you don't mind" he muttered looking at the office as if looking for something, his eyes rested on the man behind Spade and he could see the hard look he was giving him.

He'd heard about him too, the right hand man of Spade, he was the gun in whatever twisted relationship or alliance Spade had with him.
Spade was the face and the fear but Matteo did all the heavy lifting.
The killing, the tortures, the deals and most importantly the sales, it was all run by his right hand man, Matteo.
"Information reaching us is that there were a few illegal arms that were recovered today at one of the docks outside town, we were able to arrest a few of the men there, a few accusing fingers points to you" he finished looking at Spade, he clenched his jaw.

"And what proof do you have of this"? He asked his eyes boring into the man in front of him, this was what he'd been avoiding all along.
An open confrontation like this

"We were made to believe you paid for some of these arms" the man muttered, even though he knew this wasn't proof enough, he still wanted to try and also to give a note of warning to Spade that he knew exactly what was going on behind closed doors.

"Do you have proof"? He asked again, his voice coming out hard, this was a trap, a way to bait him to lose his cool and give out information, but he was smarter than this, this man should have known that.

"We don't need proof, we have witnesses and that Spade, is stronger than any proof we need" the man mutttered, Spade's lips titled in half a smirk as he watched with keen interest on the man in front of him, his eyes moved to the other two who wore police uniforms and had guns hoisted on their waists, their eyes showed complete fear as they stared at him, the smile on his face only heightening their anxiety and nerves.

"You know, for a chief, you're really doing a sloppy job at it" he muttered with a chuckle "I expected more from you, you show up in a man's office, his building and accuse him wrongly, based on a few words of desperate arms dealers" he scoffed "I could sue for this" he added making the man smile softly as he watched Spade.

"And I could arrest you for illegal shipment of arms" he muttered looking at Spade as if challenging him, Spade matched his stare, unwavering and unblinking, before he smirked and scoffed

"With what proof"? He asked as if daring the man back, the man narrowed his eyes at Spade before he sighed out "go back to your corner chief and when you have enough proof and a warrant then you can come back" he mutters taunting the man, the man glared at Spade and the young man just gave him a lopsided smirk.

He took two more steps towards Spade, making sure he was close enough that no one would hear him, he leaned in closer to him, he stood more than 3 inches shorter than Spade.

"You're good Spade, very good but I will get you, it's only a matter of time" he muttered before he turned around and started walking away from Spade towards the door.