Chapter 77

Narrator

The air was filled with loud chatter and heated discussions in the garage. Practice was about to start any minute and the engineers were getting the car ready. Charles sat on a chair somewhere more quiet, already packed up in his racing suit and his helmet next to him.
His nose was buried in his notebook, studying the layout of the track precisely. Cameras flashed by for a second and he looked up, winking at his fans at home.

Disappearing into the track conditions, memorize at which corners he would turn to a certain speed, or when he would hit the throttle with full pressure. It helped pushing every other thought aside.
His private matters were affecting his concentration, and Charles had to learn to leave them at home, where they belong.

After he had sent a message to Valerie, declaring his longing, he has heard no word from her. Not a single one.

She listened to it, of that he was certain.

Maybe it was for the better, he thought.

For the next moments, nothing would catch his attention away from the paper in his hands.

Only when a shadow flashed by in the corner of his eye, making him to draw his focused gaze away.
As he observed the room, his stomach twitched when a certain woman walked up to him.

Charles rolled his eyes, not even trying to hide it anymore now.

»Charles, good morning!«, she said happily when she reached his hear-range.

»What do you want, Rebecca? I'm busy.«
He told her off coldly, paying attention to his sheets again while facing away.

»But you won't be later, after practice, will you?«, she asked innocently, tilting her head to the side and putting on an exaggerated smile.

Charles sighed. What the hell did she want?

»If you ask like that, I surely will.«

He still didn't look at her. She wasn't worth a glance.

Rebecca pouted, but quickly moving on. She tried to pull another move.

»Come on, Charles. We spent a night together. Can't we just go out like normal people?«

Liar.

Frustration built up inside of him as soon as she mentioned her presence in his bed months ago.
He was sure nothing happened.
It cost him everything to not form his hand into a fist.

»We didn't spend a night together. We never did anything at all. Now leave.«

Charles was clearly annoyed by the engineer's assistant. But instead to follow his order, she allowed herself to fade a step in, bending down so they would be on eye-level.
Rebecca spoke quietly, almost in a whisper.

»Are you sure about that?«

That was it. 5 words. It only took 5 words to send a cold, electrical shiver down Charles' spine. The question left him uncomfortable, and he tried to hide it.

Rebecca smiled satisfactorily and readjusted her position, clearly noticing the weak spot she just pinned right into.

Charles didn't have to send her away again, she left on her own will, looking back once to leave him a challenging smile.

What did she intend to do? Did she really expect him to go out with her?

Charles stared at his notebook for a while, not paying attention to the information written in it.
His mind circled, but not coming to a conclusion.