Chapter 56

Monday - later that day

Valerie

Juliette and I arrived at the paddock around 4pm. The weekend was relaxing, comforting. I loved to spend time with my sister and my best friend. Blanca flew back to Spain for work after.
I could tell that I already missed my big sister.

Carlos texted me that Charles was still there, so I snuck around the paddock to find him.
I missed him, too. Not falling asleep next to him was unfamiliar. His soft, constant breathing was missing.

I found the man I was looking for sitting in his drivers room, his head above some notes of the track.
»Miss me?«, I threw into the room, opening the door with lots of momentum.

His body hissed around, facing me with a wide smile.
»Valerie!« Charles stood up and walked towards me, his hands finding my face to kiss me gently.
»Of course I did.«

He stared at me as if he wanted to check if I was real.

»What?«

He smiled again.
»I'm just really glad you're back.«

»Do you still have some stuff to do or are we good to go?«

Charles looked around, then found my eyes again.
»No, let's go.«

He took my hand in his and opened the door.

On our way out we came across Juliette who was already preparing the garages for the Grand Prix.
We also met Rebecca.
Seeing her face still made me want to throw up.

But she's been awfully nice and friendly the past weeks. She even tried to apologize once for what she did.
Unbelievable.

***

We arrived at our hotel, my suitcases already brought to Charles' room.

»You can already go in, I'll say hello to my brother first.«, I said and pointed down the hall.
Most of the drivers were staying at the same hotel.

Charles nodded and I gave him a kiss on the cheek before walking by the several other doors along the hall.
I stopped in front of one and knocked.

Only after a few seconds, a lovely face met mine.
»Valerie! You're finally here.« Carlos pulled me into a hug before letting me into his room.

»How was your girls trip?«

I sat down on one of the chairs in front of the window. »It was absolutely great. I could do that anytime soon.«

Carlos put a glass on my side of the table and grabbed a bottle of water. »I'm happy you enjoyed it.«

I thankfully took the glass and leaned back. »Yeah, I wasn't that relaxed in a long time.«

»Then maybe you should indeed do that more often.«

We chatted about this and that, mostly about the race. Spa was always a special place. A place to make history.

After a while, Carlos' face began to grow more serious, sinking in thoughts.

»Everything okay?«? I asked and got him out of his mind.

He met my eyes.

He seemed to hesitate.
»Is Charles alright?«, it rolled uncontrollably over his tongue.

I took another sip of water.
»Why wouldn't he be?«

Carlos took another long moment to find his words.
»I think he has problems with his sleep.«

Oh.

My thoughts wandered as soon as he spoke it out.
»What do you mean?«

»He seemed very tired this morning. He tried to cover the rings under his eyes with sunglasses but...«

»But?..«

I began to worry.

Carlos moved around on his chair.
»I think he suffered under the circumstances that you weren't there.«

I wasn't sure whether to laugh or to be confused.
My browses furrowed.
»I was away for two nights. Two nights, Carlos.«

His fingers tipped on the table.

»But you haven't heard him screaming in his sleep, Val.«

Carlos' words hit me like a rock in the face.
Screaming?

»Carlos, what do you mean?!« My voice grew louder.

He sighed. Two times.
It made me impatient.

»He- it sounded like he was in pain. I wanted to go look for him but then I heard him calling out your name.« He rushed with his hands through his hair.

»Maybe it was just a nightmare.«

»It sounded like an awful one.«

Now I sighed too. Carlos was getting me really worried.
»I noticed that he was sleeping restless sometimes, but I didn't know it was that bad.«

»I'm only telling you this because I'm worried for my friend.«, he explained quietly.
I nodded, my head still somewhere else.

»I already wanted to talk to him about it, but I never got the chance, it even left my mind, actually.«
I rested my head in my hands. This was really making my heart heavy.
I know that Charles missed me more than any other person, but I took it easily.

Did I care too less?

Carlos stood up, making me do the same. His arms wrapped around me, I laid my head into his chest.
»I will try and talk to him.«, I almost whispered into my brother's shoulders. »It's not something he likes to talk about though.«

Carlos pulled away and looked me in the eyes.
»You two will work it out, like always.«
He smiled.

I gave him a little kiss on the cheek and left the room after saying goodbye for that day.

When I got into Charles' and mine hotel room, he was sitting on the edge of the bed, scrolling through his phone.
His face rose when he heard the door and he immediately stood up.

»I have our perfect evening planned out!«, he exclaimed excitedly.

»Oh yeah?« I walked up to him, laying my arms over his shoulders.

»Oui

I thought about sitting him down and ask him about the last nights, but he was so happy and excited in that moment.
I didn't want to ruin it.

Charles and I went to a chic restaurant and a quiet bar afterwards. It was a lovely evening.
He made me feel so special and I couldn't have imagined it better.

I loved that man.