Chapter 21

Flashback - The first met

Charles POV

It was the start of the 2018 season. Everyone was excited and the winter break was finally over. I raced alongside Marcus Ericsson now and Ferrari put me in the Sauber F1 Team since I showed them my potential in the test-drivings.
Finally my first full-time seat in a Formula One car! I was already at the Sauber team but I didn't get to drive races yet.
But now was my chance.
I was planning on giving my best to rise up and someday be able to drive next to Seb in the main Ferrari team.
This was mine and my fathers biggest dream. He passed away last year after his longtime sickness. I tried to make him proud in his last hours and told him I already had a contract with Ferrari. Even though it was a lie I believed that I could make it come true.
I was also doing it for Jules, my godfather. He was supposed to sit in that Ferrari car and win championships. It was is legacy I would fulfill.

And I wanted it so bad. The loss of my idol, my best friend, my godfather and later the death of my father had put a massive weight on me and my career. But I tried to always keep my head up and make him proud. That's what he would've wanted.

But now, 2018, the first race in Melbourne, Australia.
My buddy, Pierre was also here. He was driving for Toro Rosso alongside Brendon Hartley.
We were standing outside of the paddock, chatting about some race stuff.
FP1 would start later that day and we were very excited. Daniel Riccardo from RedBull and Nico Hülkenberg, driving for Renault, we're joining us.

»Heyyy there's my teammate.«, Nico suddenly said and gestured in front of us. He pointed at Carlos Sainz jr., the other driver for Renault who was walking towards us.
And he was not alone.
I couldn't really see them from that distance.
»Who's that besides Carlos?«, Pierre asked, not looking away from them.
»Yeah, he's got a girlfriend?«, Daniel added and held his hand in front of his head to avoid the sun shining in our faces.
»I believe it's his sister.«, Nico mentioned not seeming sure if it was right what he just clarified.

We stood there like four guys gazing at somethings in the distance, all looking in the same direction, hands on our hips like old grandpas in front of their TV.

»Hey mate.«, Carlos gave his teammate his hand and then he greeted us all too.
The girl he was with came out behind him.
»Gentlemen, may I introduce my sister, Valerie to you. It's her first time at a Grand Prix, be nice.«
The boys said hello and laid their eyes on Carlos' sister like she was some jewel.
I stayed quiet, trying to concentrate on the conversation. But my eyes would always find their way back to her.
She was a bit smaller than me. Her lightbrown, wavy hair was slowly moving in the slight wind and brought out her face. Her grey-blue eyes observed the paddock and her soft red lips were formed into a polite smile.
She wore a white top that only went short over her belly button. Beneath, she had a blue jeans on that were ripped on some parts.

Somewhere in between, our eyes found each other.
I was mesmerized.

»Hey, buddy, you there?« I was brought back to reality by Pierre who was snapping his finger in front of my face.
»Yeah yeah, I am.«, I replied and took part in the conversation. But I saw her little smile when she caught me staring before Pierre interrupted me.
My mouth curved into a little smirk and I tried not so smile like a complete idiot in front of the guys.

We wished each other good luck and went to our garages to prepare for the free practice.
Valerie went with her brother to the Renault paddock. While walking to my team, I turned around a few times to maybe catch her looking back.

The first free practices were finished but not as good as I hoped. Shortly to say it was not good enough yet to get to show my skills.
I was a bit frustrated of course but after all the fact that I got the opportunity to drive for Formula One kept me up.
Marcus also tried to motivate me even though he didn't score much more than me.
We just had to accept that Sauber wasn't the dominating team on the grid which was obvious.
But driving in that car gave me a free, indescribable feeling.