Chapter 50

Guys I can't believe it, 50 chapters.
In the beginning, almost 5 months ago, I never would've thought that I would actually bring this story that far.
I always had ideas for story's but I've never published anything until you begged me for it;)
So, thank you to everyone who's been reading this story regularly, I love you guys, so much<3
________________________________

The next morning

Charles

Valerie and I had just arrived at breakfast with the other drivers.
The fact that I couldn't reach the pole for today was still a scratch in my mind, but Valerie made that up for me last night perfectly.

We sat down and curious looks were on us immediately.
»What?«, I asked while facing them with confused eyes.

Daniel began to laugh.
»You know, I really could've used some sleep last night.«, he said while drinking some orange juice, his iconic giggling spreading over the whole table.

»Yeah, sounds like someone had a lot of fun.«
Lewis raised his head from his phone, chuckling.

Valerie hid her face with her hand. I could see her turning red despite her fingers covering her cheeks.

»The next time, guys, try and think about the others that have to witness this.«, Max suggested with a sarcastic tone.

I could tell that they all weren't really mad, in fact, they had a lot of fun rubbing it in our faces.
But that didn't kept me from feeling a certain amount of embarrassment wandering through my body.
I mean, yes, Valerie and I definitely had pleasing night. Hell, it was amazing.

But still, no one should've heard that, actually.

»I didn't know we were that loud.«, I murmured to my left where Valerie was sitting, still slightly blushed.
It was only meant for her, but it was clearly loud enough for the boys to also hear it, since they burst out laughing.
I looked down the table when-

Ouch!
A stabbing pain went through my left leg.
Did she just kick me under the table?

»Let's just move on from this.«, Valerie said shyly and stared to eat, ignoring the stares from the others.

I saw Carlos giggling from a little far away. He was sitting next to Lando who was also enjoying the gossip.

They really knew how to embarrass somebody.

I put a hand on her back and let it slowly slide around her waist, checking if she was mad or something.
To my relief, she leaned in to my touch and giving me a little smile afterwards.

It was just some fun with the guys, but I got that they didn't have to know about our sexual life.

We finished our breakfast and went to the paddock shortly after that, it's race day!

***

Come on, Charles, you can do this!

I didn't lose my position in second place, but Max was already a few seconds ahead of me. Checo kept pushing behind me which didn't make it any easier.

I pushed around the corner when my radio went on.

-Max is going to pit, I repeat, Max I going to pit. This is your chance, Charles.

-Copy

Xavi yelled the words and the adrenaline immediately rose in my body.
I saw the RedBull in front of me slow down as he entered the pitlane.

Smoothly, I drove along the straight, getting in front. I checked my mirror multiple times but Max wouldn't show up.

-What's up with Verstappen?
I breathed into my microphone. I wasn't that concerned, just wondering. After all, it would be my victory if all went well.

- Seems like Verstappen got problems in the pit. He did a 7.3 seconds stop
Xavi informed me slowly.

7.3? Geez, Max won't be happy about that.

- Copy

***

3 laps left.
I was able to keep the RedBulls behind me, for my sake.
The pace was on an extraordinary good level and during my pitstop I hadn't lost my position.
This time, the team went for a solid strategy, also with Carlos.
I couldn't really tell, but I assumed that he was clinging right behind Checo from what my engineer had told me.

Finally, the last corner.

~HE DID IT IN MONACO, HE REDOES IT HERE,
CHARLES LECLERC WINS THE 2023 BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX~

I hear the team celebrating over radio as I crossed the finish line.

»Grande, Charlie! Grande!«

»YESSSS! Ahhhhhh. Feels good, guys. Thank you.«

I got out of the car to face the cheering horde.
To my surprise, my joy grew even more when I saw Carlos parking his car in 3rd place.
I walked up to him, his hands meeting mine.
»Congrats, mate.«, he announced solemnly.

The next moment I found myself in the arms of my engineers, hearing their celebration and congratulations.
Arthur also accompanied the crowd, throwing himself in my arms.

My eyes watered a little bit. It was good to finally feel this success again, the triumph, the joy.

My arms found those of Valerie as I went along the crowd behind the barrier.
I didn't recognize her at first but I knew the touch of her hands by heart.
She stood there, in the middle of the crowd, her eyes glowing at me.

Carefully, I took my helmet off to give her a kiss, surrounded by people and cameras.
I didn't care.
My hand touched her cheek and the engineers cheered next to us.

»You did it, mi amor!«

Was she... crying?
Her smile spread over her entire face, infecting me to do the same.

I went back to the three parking cars to let me get weighed.
Max walked up to me, reaching out his hand.
»Well done, mate.«
»Thanks, you too.« I gave him a friendly wink and let him enter the scale.

The podium was the best thing I've felt in a long time.
Well, expect for the night before. That was awesome, too.
Just the thought of it made me all fuzzy in my head again.

The Monegasque anthem was a pleasure in my ears, it made me proud.
I hoped my father and Jules could've seen this.

They did. From above.

When I reached Carlos to overload him with champagne, he gave me a silly smirk.
»Don't celebrate too much tonight, please.«

I chuckled and filled his neck with the alcohol which I took a sip from afterwards.

Silly guy.

My feet carried me to the rail. I looked down, searching for the eyes that would meet with mine, and I could drown inside of them.
She was already looking. Her gaze couldn't be prouder.

I kissed the inside of my hand and reached it out to her and hoped all the cameras caught it.
Everyone should know that this is the woman I want to take as my wife.