Chapter 44

Narrator

Valerie's eyes were focused on the project in front of her.
She and Charles were back at Carlos' house where Valerie kept a little collection of her designing stuff that she needed.
After a long time, she felt like drawing and creating something again.
So now there she was, sitting at her desk while holding a piece of thick cardboard which she just glued together with another piece.
The cardboard was formed by herself into an "F" and in the meantime the "1" was already in the making.

Red color was everywhere - including her fingers - and drops of glue stuck to the desk.

Valerie didn't even turn around when fast footsteps appeared outside, coming nearer.

Tap, tap, tap, tap.

The door opened.
It was silent for a few seconds.
»I've been looking for that shirt,«
Charles leaned in the doorframe, fresh out of the shower, only a towel around his waist.

Valerie didn't dare to tear her gaze from her project.
»Looks like you found it,« she replied cheekily but still concentrated. She knew exactly that she "borrowed" this shirt from his closet.
She did that... often.

He came closer, and closer until he reached the chair Valerie was sitting on, still focused on holding the pieces together.

She shrugged a little when she felt his warm breath against her neck.
The breath turned into soft kisses, moving up and down her neck.

»Charles,« she chuckled, trying to escape his mouth, »I've got to concentrate here.«

He stopped for a short while to raise his head on the desk. »That looks beautiful, Valerie. Did you made ist yourself?«
»Yep.«

The Formula 1 symbol was nearly done. It was a project she started a looong while ago and now she was finally finishing it.

But before she could bring it to an end, her neck was attacked by her boyfriend's kisses again.
»Charles, seriously-« She tried to fight him off with her hands but he quickly pinned them with his own, making them unmovable.

He went around her neck, tracing it with his mouth and smirking in between because he knew that she definitely enjoyed this.

The sudden interruption of a phone ringing in the room destroyed their moment. Charles straightened up and looked around.
»Hold that thought,« he said smiling as he recognized his phone vibrating on the bedside table.
He walked over and answered.

»Andrea! Come stai? Sì, sto molto bene.«
[Andrea! How are you? Yes, I'm very good.]

Charles talked to his crew member and also one of his best friends.
He gave Valerie a quick "be right back" look and went outside the room.

She tried to focus on her project again, but the conversation outside got her attention.
Usually, she wasn't that kind of person who would listen to other people's phone calls.
But Charles seemed to have gotten upset real quick outside.
His voice volumed up, he seemed angry.

Valerie had no idea what he was saying, she didn't understand Italian.
She could get a few words because they were similar to Spanish but she still had no clue.

After a few minutes, Charles rushed in again and went straight to the closet.

»What is it?«, Valerie asked as she saw his hurry.

»I gotta clarify something with Fred.«, he just said and quickly got into some clothes.

Valerie was slightly confused.
»I'll tell you later.«, Charles added and gave her a quick kiss on her cheek, then left the room.