Chapter 47

Valerie

The alarm went off first thing in the morning. I couldn't say it ripped me out of my sleep.
I had been awake for the last hour.
My mind wasn't able to find rest, I thought about it all the time.

While my thoughts wandered, I rolled over to lay on my side only to have the lovely view of Charles' back.
He didn't have a good sleep. He moved around restless. I somehow doubted he even slept at all.

Telling me that Rebecca would be at the paddock again really stressed him out. And I can see why.
She had been the beginning of our end.

He thought I would blame him for her rehabilitation, but how could I? How could I even imagine that when I saw how scared he was to let me know?
Of course I didn't like it. I hated her. Hell, I detested her, if that isn't the same thing as hate.

If Hollywood would remake Cinderella, she would be casted as the evil, annoying and cruel stepsister for sure, no doubt.
But what was the point in all this? Why would Fred be doing this? It's not like he didn't notice how fucked up that woman is.

Just going around and kissing men that are in a relationship... disgusting.
I pictured it again.
4 years ago, when I passed that locker room.

It looked so much like Charles was kissing her, too.

I shook my head in disbelief.
Come on, Val. You've been over this for a thousand times now.

My reminiscing stopped abruptly as Charles turned on his back, facing the ceiling.
»You can't stop thinking about it either, can you?«

I faced him. This came unexpectedly.
»Not really,« I said underneath my breath. It was more of a whisper, though.

He rolled over to catch my gaze. Then his hand wandered across the mattress to find mine.
He embraced it and found my eyes again.
»We will face it together,« he echoed my words from the day before.

I nodded, not really convinced from any of it.
But I wanted to believe it.

»Come on, otherwise we'll miss breakfast.«
Charles hopped out of the bed and stumbled towards the bathroom.

I sighed and tore the blanket away from my tired body.

I met Charles in the bathroom when I placed myself next to him at the sink, brushing my teeth.
He was shaving his chin and I couldn't stop watching him through the mirror.
»What?«, he asked as he caught my stare.

»Nothing.« He could barely hear my answer because of the toothbrush stuck in my mouth.
He was just... perfect.
Magnificent.

***

»I'm glad you could make it.« Carlos pointed to two chairs next to him which he kept free for us.
Most of the drivers were at this hotel so it felt like a class trip - but with boys only.
None of them brought their girlfriends, or wives.
So I looked down the table and faced a bunch of hungry formula 1 drivers.
To much testosterone if you ask me.

Pierre, Yuki, Nico, Max, Kevin, Esteban, Lance...
-Even Fernando accompanied us.
My brother, of course and...
My gaze flew to the other side.

Danny!

I already met him when I was at the paddock with Carlos 4 years ago. He is such a kind soul and I took him into my heart quickly.

»Oh. My. God. Valerie Sainz, is that you?« He seemed to have caught me, too.

»It is, live and in color!«
He chuckled. He always smiled so brightly, it made my day instantly.

Charles didn't seem to follow.
»Excuse me, what am I missing?«, he asked in a played offended tone.

»Me and Daniel met a few years ago at the paddock, he's a very dear friend.«
Daniel nodded instantly before he put a large pancake into his mouth.

I quickly put my hand above Charles'. He was cute when he got a little jealous.

While we were eating, Charles chatted with Pierre and Max.
Maxplaining was like a daily task.
But the boys seemed to enjoy it.

»¿Dónde está Juliette?« [Where's Juliette?],        I asked my brother who was eating all quietly to himself.
He seemed startled by my sudden question.
»Uhm, Ella llegará hoy.« [She will arrive today], he answered hesitantly, »¿Por qué?« [Why?]

»Solo preguntando...« [Just asking...]
He was a fool if he thought he could hide anything from his sister.
»¿La invitarás a salir a cenar?« [Will you ask her out for dinner?], I suggested cheekily.

»Tal vez.« [Maybe.]

That sounded promising. He had a little smile on his face when he said that.
But I let go of asking him questions, poor guy.

I concentrated back on my plate and continued eating. Some chat here and there with Daniel and Esteban.

And while looking around, it felt like a big family.

***

I didn't think I could ever get used to the cameras that were pointing at us the second we left the car.
We went to the paddock for Charles and Carlos to do a seat-check and I brought some stuff to put into my office.
Charles took my hand and walked to the entrance.

It was only Tuesday, but many fans were already here. And they stormed towards us.

I was actually happy to see the tall, black-haired security guard appear and take them under control.

»Good morning, Charles, Valerie.«
Raphael walked in front us, guiding our way in.
»'Morning.«, Charles simply answered and turned his face to me. I gave his look back quickly before facing our surroundings again.

I've never been to Bahrain before. The paddock looked a little bit different than the one in Monaco.

»Is she already here?«, I whispered to Charles.
My impatience was not to overhear.
»I do not know.«, he answered, almost as quiet as my question.

Raphael didn't seem to take notice of my conversation with Charles.

I felt a little bit sorry for him. He was serious with me. And I gave him hope. I shouldn't have. My heart was never with him, but with Charles.
And I never even told him personally that I got back together with Charles. 
Was it cruel of me? Or should it not bother me?

_________________________
Sorry for the short chapter, again. I'm currently struggling to maintain the tension and keep everything interesting until I get to the main part of the story and the drama again.

Am I the only one or is it a funny coincidence that Carlos' new girlfriend (in real life) is named Rebecca? xD

xx
Lea<3
But