Chapter 38

Charles POV

I saw Carlos already waving when I arrived at the paddock. I parked my car quickly and walked towards him.
»Sorry to keep you guys waiting.«, I said out of breath as I reached Carlos, giving him a handshake.

»No worries,«, he replied chuckling and began to head to the entry, I followed, walking besides him, »you know, as soon as you're famous, you don't wait for the world, the world waits for you.«, he continued and held the door of the meeting room open. A wide smile appeared on his face.
I laughed at his quote and went in, Carlos right behind me.

The whole crew was already there. I greeted them, a bit embarrassed of my horrible time management.
The embarrassment gave away to the pain, the longing to sit next to Valerie on the couch, cuddling, instead of in this room full of people, discussing some things before going out on the track.

I sat down next to my engineer and took the headphones that were hanging over the monitor, waiting for me to pick them.

Fortunately, the meeting didn't take long and I soon found myself on the way to the garage, my teammate next to me.

»How is she?«, Carlos asked, his voice still full of worries. He didn't have to say a name for me to know who he meant.
»Yeah, she's alright so far. I told her to take the day off and relax a bit. I also told her she should see a doctor to clarify some things.«

Carlos exhaled with relief.
»Thank god nothing worse happened.«

We entered the garage, our racing suits already prepared in the changing rooms.
Someone of the crew already wanted to hand me the rest of my equipment but I waved him off.
»Give me 5 minutes, please.«

Carlos, who hadn't disappeared to his own car yet gave me a confused look.
I ignored him and grabbed my phone out of my pocket, tapping on it and then holding it to my ear.

An enlightening wave went over Carlos' face.
»Seriously, mate? You have seen her like 30 minutes ago.« He crossed his arms in front of his chest, his mouth formed into a sarcastic smile.

I didn't bother answering him and listened to Valerie's voice as she picked up.
»Charles? What's up?«

My body got all warm. And I hadn't even got into the car yet. My fingers were tingling and it felt like my heart did little dances as soon as she spoke.
I took my equipment and disappeared quickly into my changing room, trying to avoid Carlos' comments on my call.

»Heyy, mon amour. How are you?«
I laid down my stuff on the bench and concentrated on her reply.
»Charles, you're not even away for an hour. I'm fine.«
»Alright, Alright. Maybe I just wanted to hear your voice before I get into the car.«

There wasn't an answer on the other side of the line but I could definitely hear her smile somehow.
»Have you taken your medication this morning?«, I asked with a more serious tone, tipping with my fingers against the lockers.

I heard a sigh. »Yes, mi amor, I have. Don't worry.«
»That's easy for you to say.«
She chuckled.

God, how I loved to hear her laugh and giggle like a little child.

Between times, I heard the mechanics getting ready outside.

»Alright, I gotta get set. I'll see you later.«
»Okay. Drive safely. I love you.«

»Je t'aime.«

I hung up, my heart aching at the loss of her voice on my ear. We were only a few kilometers apart and I would see her in a few hours. But it felt like there were oceans between us.
And all I wanted to do in that moment was to swim.

***

My body was covered in sweat when I got out of the car. I did like 150 laps around the Monaco circuit. Now the team could calculate whatever they needed to with the data I gave them.
My job was done.
And I could finally go home.

I caught myself having those thoughts.
And I wish I wouldn't have had them. I loved racing. And I would do everything to help the team get better and improve.
But I didn't feel comfortable with the thought that Valerie was home alone, unprotected.

I needed to get it out of my system. But that was easier said than done. All I could picture was her laying on the ground, barely breathing.

What would've happened if I didn't make it in time?

The thought left me shivering, my hands trembling as I closed my locker.

My physiotherapist came to talk to me about some stuff. I haven't been training the way I should've done in the last few weeks.
I really needed to concentrate more on my career, I knew that.

But it seemed so hard with everything else going on.
But for now, the only thing I wanted was to sit next to Valerie, holding her in my arms and don't let go so soon.

On my way out, I said goodbye to Carlos. He remind me of the gala that would take place the next evening.
Every driver was looking forward to it the whole year.

This year, it was in Monaco which made it even more special for me.
And I knew I would take Valerie with me.

With every step I took in my cars direction, my heart jumped a bit more in my chest.
I could barely wait to open the front door and give her a kiss.

The universe really wanted us to meet again. To connect again.
To love one another.

____________________
Sorry to keep you waiting, again. I'm in my exam phase before the summer holidays so there's a lot of stress. But I try to write as often as I can!
This chapter is a bit shorter again. I apologize if it's a bit boring at the moment, I try to make it as exciting as possible.
The drama will cause up soon again, don't worry;)
I hope you like it after all.
Love you<3