CHAPTER 18

HAYAT POV:

I didn’t know what to say, so I looked around the room when he broke the silence “Hayat what month do you think we should pick?” I thought about it and said, “My university will start in March, and since it’s November already, I think January or February will be alright. What do you say?” I asked....

I think January will be good, but can you handle everything? It’ll be winter, “ He asked, considering me again. I have told him once about me hating winter season since I get cold easily, here he didn’t forget about it....

“Hmm, it will be alright, and the date?” I asked again...

“Let me see the calendar, we can have our nikkah on 19th January since it’s Friday, and after a week, we can do Barat (wedding) like on 27th January, and we can do Valima (reception) after your semester is done, since the media will find about it quickly, I don’t want to disturb your university life just because of media, so then you can rest and from March you can join your university” He looked up after finalising everything....

“I- I mean, if you are comfortable, then only we will finalise it,” He said, shuttering a bit...

I smiled and stood up, “I’m ready, the date is great to go, can I have a tour of this beautiful place?” I said, looking at him when he nodded his head, gesture me to follow him...

“We won’t live here, Hayat,” he said, I immediately turned towards him, “then where?” I asked...

“At our place, our home, our penthouse,” He said, that “our” in his sentence made my heart feel at ease, fluttered a bit, that did something to my heart, how smoothly he used “our” instead of “my”

“But I want to live with uncle auntie,” I said while trying not to look desperate, I want to feel the love of a mother, a father, I want to have a  healthy relationship with my in-laws .....

“We can come here time to time, I promise, but live with me in our home hayat, I- I get nightmares sometimes at night and I don’t like to worry my mother, I didn’t wanted to get married too, so I won’t spoil my wife live but I like you and I want to live with you there” He opened up to me.....

“Okay, but I still need the tour, please,” we smiled at each other, and he told me about the place while I loved it.....

After discussing everything with our family, the date was finalised, everyone hugged each other. Ashar and I made eye contact and he started his drama, “meri hone wali bhabi (my soon to be sister-in-law), meri (my) student, manner less woman welcome to our family” He bowed and said to me while I laughed a little and replied “you self obsessed manic thank you for the warm welcome” I replied and held his hand, shaking our hand and seeing the elders laughing at our talk we bid good bye and parted our ways.......

“Let’s meet at our place tonight. I want to discuss some things with you” I replied with a thumbs up when I got another text, “my soon to be wife never send emoji like this to me, I feel left out please reply with a word, thank you” shaking my head I thought about how sunshiny he is, “okay my soon to be husband.”

Changing my clothes to baggie jeans and shirt, I took a mental note to change my entire wardrobe to desi clothes....I loved desi clothes, I used to wore those when me and Eira used to hangout, my life totally changed after her death, I started wearing jeans, shirts, going to the clubs, not praying, sometimes smoking too, late night outings and much more....but now it’s time for me to change myself to “better me” to find the better me myself.....

Reaching our usual place, I looked for him. When I couldn’t find him I looked for Ashar “Miss Hayat what a pleasant surprise at this time of the night” I rolled my eyes and said “I came to meet your brother, where is he?” Ashar looked confused said, "I don’t know, I haven’t seen him here today.”

“Here I am, my lady.” He came to me and gestured me to walk towards my car, walking to my car I took a seat and he took the passenger seat....

“I- Well you tell me now how do you want our wedding to happen?” He asked, taking the pen and paper ready....

I laughed a little and said “well there are some things I want to arrange at our wedding. You won’t laugh at my silly talks, right?” I said as he looked at me and shook his head...”Just tell me, I won’t laugh, I promise.”

“Okay then, hmmmm, I want to wear Abbaya on our nikkah and you should wear white shalwar kameez with a waistcoat and  just simple arrangements and us together at the same place hearing one another Qubool Hai, and I want to wear wine red lehenga on our wedding and yeah I want no one, not even a single soul wearing red on our special day, can we do that? And I want the wedding simple yet elegant, no songs, just some background instrumental music and no one taking our pictures without our permission and I want to hide my face in the net veil till you pull that up to look at my face first, oh I know its kind of cringe but can we do that?” I said without looking at him....

Turing to him, I saw a beautiful smile forming on his face. “Anything else, my would-be wife,” I thought to myself and shook my head “okay done” 

He wanted to eat something, so we changed the seat, now he’s driving the car while I sat on passenger seat, we went to the nearest food place and ordered our food “Hayat I wanted to ask a question if you don’t mind” He said, I looked at the side and turned my focus on him nodding my head he said “why are you not close with your parents?” He might have asked it because everything is getting done by chacha chachi instead of abbu jee and others, but I don’t consider them as my family. I sighed and looked at him “wait for the right moment, please, I need some time to open up about this topic.” I turned my face to the other side while waiting for our food to arrive....