Ch. 41

Four days had gone by since you returned to the Mushroom Kingdom.

Despite the days that had passed, you could still clearly see the image in your mind of Luigi once he saw that you had returned safe. You couldn't shake his expression from your mind. You would try to push away that moment from your thoughts, but it just kept coming back to you.

His tired blue eyes were locked onto yours, and for a short moment, he looked at you as if you weren't truly there. You could clearly recall the emotion behind his eyes as he came to the realization that you were alright. It was as if the very sight of you brought a weight off his shoulders. He looked incredibly exhausted, but despite that, he still managed to give you a comforting smile.

You had accepted what you were going to have to do for your kingdom, but you could feel your mind become clouded with guilt everytime that image would choose to replay in your head.

Why did he have to look at me like that?

I don't deserve his kindness.

I never did...

...

I know I was lying when I told my father that I didn't actually care about him.

...

But WHY!?

Why do I care about him!?

Why can't I just muster up the courage to throw away this friendship I've mistakenly built!?

Why did I have to make things so difficult!?

Why is this-

"y/n."

The sudden sound of your name caused you to slightly jump as it snapped you out of your storming thoughts. You quickly turned to see Luigi standing next to you with a small amount of concern in his expression.

"I think that plant has enough water..." he quietly said as his gaze went from you to the watering can in your hand.

You had become so lost in your thoughts that you had almost forgot you were watering the plants in the small greenhouse that was on the castle grounds. You watched as the last few drops of water fell from the watering can and down into the wooden planter. The poor flowers were practically drowning in the pooling water that flowed over the planters edge. The water was already moving towards the small metal grate that was on the cobble flooring as you took a small step back from the puddle that had formed around your shoes.

"Oh." you muttered as your face slightly flushed from embarrassment.

"Are you... feeling alright, y/n?"

You lost count of how many times Luigi had asked you that since you returned. While you knew the reason behind your loss of consciousness for a day was because of that silhouette, it was still considered unexplainable to everyone else. As a result, you felt as if your actions were being more closely monitored than they had been before.

"I'm fine..." you said while avoiding his gaze. "Sorry, I just spaced out for a second..."

You could feel Luigi's eyes on you as you stared down at the trickling water that moved across the floor.

You knew he could tell something was wrong since you returned. Sometimes it felt as if he could see right through you. You couldn't understand how your emotions always seemed to be so transparent to him.

Despite this, he never seemed to pry...

"Alright..." he said in a slightly hushed tone while slowly taking the watering can from your hands. "I'll go refill this then."