Ch. 9

Kamek and Bowser looked at each other.

Both seemed hesitant to answer your question.

"You promised to give me answers." You said quietly, but stern.

Bowser then looked at you, his face of concern turning into one of sadness.

"I am sorry (y/n). You're right..." Bowser said softly. "We will answer your questions. Just know, the story of the power star may be... overwhelming."

You nodded to your father, acknowledging that you understood. You just wanted answers and explanations for once in your life.

"Well, to answer you, yes it is true that people born with magic are unable to use the power star." Kamek explained while fidgeting with his glasses. "However, I am unsure if you are able to use the power star. I would ultimately say no, but the power star is a bit different compared to other items, due to it being made of pure magic and not being found in our natural world. While all other magical items come from our world, power stars used to come from the galaxy above."

Used to?

"It is said that the stars were a gift from Rosalina, the goddess of the stars." Bowser chimed in. "They used to fall from the sky and were collected by those below. While finding one was rare, it was seen as a gift from above and only used for what was considered good. It would grant those without magical abilities to harness a great power and strength, giving them the chance to help others like those born with magic could. For centuries the stars were used in this way, but that all changed when wars began to break out. Suddenly those stars were used as powerful weapons in battle, leaving thousands dead by the hands of those who harnessed the power. All a wielder of the star must do to kill an individual is touch them. Whether it's from a punch or a simple tap on the shoulder, those who are touched will drop dead where they stand..."

A moment of silence lingered in the room.

A chill ran down your spine at the thought of that kind of power. You now truly understood why they looked at the star with such extreme fear.

"Do they no longer fall from the sky?" You asked quietly.

"No, they don't." Bowser answered. "The power stars stopped falling from the sky about two hundred years ago. While they seemed to dwindle when the wars began, it was only when people started experimenting with the stars that they ceased to be."

"Experimenting?" You questioned, causing Browser to look over to Kamek.

"Y-yes..." Kamek said with a deep sigh. "The experiments started from those who wished to permanently harness the power that came from these stars. Unfortunately, they were successful. A human, a species who is incapable of being born with magic, managed to create a magic that they could permanently wield. The day this happened, is the day power stars truly stopped falling from the sky. This man, who was known by the name of Atlas, immediately used this power to destroy his enemies. The man's anger only fueled his power, which resulted in a great amount of destruction and death."

"This destruction included what is now the castle ruins." Bowser added. "Despite the tragedy, this moment in history caused an alliance between every single kingdom. Everyone worked together to try and kill a single foe. This is known as the 'War of Unity' today. Humans were unfortunately on the frontlines due to their enhanced ability to use magic items. This is the main reason for the low human population today."

"Despite that, it was actually a human who was able to eventually kill this man." Kamek said, once again picking up the explanation. "Once the war ended, celebration broke out all over the world and lasted for days. People who were once enemies were standing hand in hand, celebrating the victory that they managed to achieve together. After this, experimenting with power stars was outlawed across the world and there hasn't been a war since."