Ch. 17

Cold...

It's so cold...

"You're not supposed to be here."

The unfamiliar voice of a man spoke out to you.

You couldn't see.

You couldn't move.

All you could do was let your thoughts speak out as you felt the frigid coldness consume you.

Who's there?

"It doesn't matter who I am."

Where am I?

"Somewhere you're not meant to be. You must leave now."

But I'm so tired...

I'm so cold...

"Don't neglect your responsibility."

Responsibility?

What do you mean?

"You will know soon enough."

You felt the coldness begin to fade from you.

"Don't disappoint me..."

The stranger's voice started to become distant as you began to feel your senses return to you through growing warmth.

"Wake up (y/n)."

Taking in a sharp gasp of air, you jolted up from where you were as you regained feeling in your body. Breathing heavily in and out, your heartbeat raced in your chest.

Instantly, a stabbing pain shot through your head, causing it to ache uncontrollably. You let out a cry in pain as you brought your hands to your head and fell back.

"(y/n) I need you to listen very closely." You suddenly heard Kamek say. "Don't speak and keep your eyes closed until I say so."

While confused and in pain, you knew you should probably do as he says.

A sudden wave of healing magic consumed you, spreading the feeling of chilling energy through your nerves as it enveloped your pain. The agony that had been aching through your head and body slowly began to die down as the flow of Kamek's magic began to heal whatever injury you had been inflicted with.

As the pain steadily began to disappear, you became more mindful of your surroundings. You seemed to be laying on a soft surface and everything was quiet, the only sound being the energy that came from the spell that surrounded you.

Your breathing became steady along with your heartbeat soon following after. You brought your hands off of your head and laid them on your rising and falling chest.

What happened to me?

The moment you were able to think clearly, everything came back to you.

The ruins, the Mario Brothers, your magic...

You felt overwhelmed by many mixed emotions as you recalled the events of everything that happened. Regret began to plague your thoughts as you had a hard time understanding how you could let things get so out of hand.

Ever since you had done your wielding trial, you had let your emotions slip past the shield you had spent years building for yourself in order to not let your magic get the best of you. Thinking back on everything, you knew you messed up.