Ch. 5

You felt fear rise in you, along with your magic.

You could always feel your magic surge through your body when you felt high emotions. You used to not be able to contain it very well.

However, over the years you have learned to cope with your emotions so your magic doesn't accidentally get away from you.

You began to focus on your breathing and slowly sat down on your bed, counting each inhale and exhale until your breathing felt normal.

Kamek would always tell you to observe your situation in these kinds of moments. If there was nothing to direct your magic towards, then you had no need to use your magic in this moment. This strategy would help most of the time. It felt as if you were telling your own magic to stay hidden.

"(y/n)?"

You felt a small clawed hand touch your shoulder. You turned to see Jr who was now sitting next to you on your bed.

Bowser and Kamek would always tell Jr that he should try and distance himself from you if it ever seemed like you were having any issues with your magic.

That rebellious little guy would never listen though.

He would always try to comfort you during these episodes of yours. You wished he wouldn't, but you have learned by now that he won't listen to reason when it comes to this.

"(y/n) it's going to be ok. I didn't mean to worry you, I thought you would be more excited like I was. When I saw your mood change though, I realized that wasn't the case." He said sheepishly.

"Why would I be excited about something like this?" You asked in a controlled tone.

"Because dad's going to beat up the Mario Brothers!" Jr. answered, clearly unable to hold back his enthusiasm.

You were aware Jr didn't know as much as you did when it came to magic. You also knew he may have a bit more confidence in your fathers abilities than you did. However, you knew nothing of these brothers, and despite Jr. giving them seemingly high praise of their abilities, he seemed confident that this would end with the brothers falling.

Maybe I'm just overthinking things...

"Well... If Kamek and Bowser are fighting together on this then... I- I guess I have nothing to worry about."

"That's the spirit!" Jr exclaimed as he attacked you with a hug. "Now, time for the next step of my devious plan!"

"Ummmm... What plan?" You asked, giving your brother a somewhat judgmental glare.

"My plan to get you to come watch the fight of course!"

Silence filled your room as you returned Jr's excited gaze with a blank stare.

You then broke the silence with a fit of laughter.

"Are you serious?" You finally asked as your laughter subsided. "I'm assuming this battle isn't going to take place anywhere near me."

You were amused by this until you saw Jr looking at you with a very serious expression. It wasn't often you saw him like this.

"Oh my stars! Are you actually serious right now?!" You shouted, shocked he would even suggest something like that.

"Just hear me out for a second!" He said while leaping off the bed and onto your desk.

You just looked at him, absolutely stunned. This little dingus was now standing on your desk with one of the most serious looks you have ever seen come from him.

You just nodded at him to continue.

"Listen (y/n), you have been stuck in this hidden part of the west wing for way too long. You have grown to control your magic really well over this time, and it's been, what? Almost a year since your last magic incident?"

"I mean, yeah." you interrupted. "But, there's no need for me to leave my safety now, especially since Kamek said I was almost ready for my trial and-"

"Hey! Don't interrupt me! Besides, Kamek has been talking about that dumb wielding trial for months now. Aren't you tired of waiting?"

You must admit, the fact that Kamek seemed to be putting this trial off was rather annoying.

This wielding trial would allow you to finally have a chance to practically fully control your magic. Earning an object to wield your magic through would be a life changing moment.

A moment where you could finally see outside the castle...

A moment you would finally be considered safe enough to be around...

"I mean... I'm a little tired of it." You hesitantly answered.

You weren't exactly sure if you liked where this was going.

"Well, I think you have proven yourself more than capable! Missing out on this once in a lifetime opportunity to watch this historical moment in our kingdom happen, all because Kamek has put off this dumb trial isn't fair at all!"

Before either of you could say anything else, a loud horn echoed through the kingdom. The specific tune that played was one you had never heard, but always knew of.

You were taught all the different horn signals and their meaning growing up, and this particular horn pattern meant that there was an approaching enemy.

Unfortunately, you didn't seem to have a lot of time to make a choice.

"I won't pressure you to go." Jr said softly. "I'm just tired of you not getting to experience these things..."

The horn continued to ring out as the two of you looked away from each other in silence.

"You know what?" You said as you stood up from your bed. "I'm pretty tired of me not getting to experience these things as well."

You watched as Jr broke into a huge toothy smile. He gave some sort of excited squeak before jumping off the desk and rushing to your wardrobe. He began to rummage through it, tossing behind him many of your clothes.

"Hey! Stop!" You shouted. "You're going to make a huge me-"

You were then interrupted by Jr quickly turning around and chucking an item of clothing at you.

It hit you square in the face, causing you to stumble backwards and fall to the ground. You hated how well his aim has improved, not to mention how much stronger his throws have also become. Before you could get on his case though, he began to explain his plan.

"You need to put on that oversized black hoodie that I just masterfully threw into your face!" He said in a surprisingly serious tone. "You need to keep the hood on the whole time. We'll be observing the battle, which will be taking place on the ruins near the border of the kingdom, from a spot I have scouted out. We will be kinda out of view in this spot where someone would really have to give a focused look to see us."

You slipped the hoodie over what you were already wearing and lifted the hood over your head.

"I can't believe I'm doing this." You said with a mixture of regret and excitement. "How are we going to sneak over there without getting caught though?"

"That, my friend, is something my brilliant mind prepared for!"

You began to roll your eyes, until you saw a somewhat clear orange box with an exclamation point on it appear out of nowhere.

"Jr! What the- Why do you have-"

"A warp box?" he said, finishing your sentence smugly.

"Did you take this from Kamek?! You know how expensive and difficult these are to make, right!?"

"Oh please!" Jr said frustratedly. "If you saw how many he just had laying around, you wouldn't be worried at all."

You looked at the box hesitantly. It would make sense for Kamek to have many unused ones. The making of warp boxes were unpopularized by the creation of warp pipes. Pipes could bring you much farther away and were much easier to create while boxes could only go so far. This has made warp boxes a much rarer item though.

You then heard a horn echo another tune that you also had yet to hear during your time at the castle.

This signal meant the arrival of an enemy...

_____