Ch. 14

(f/b)- favorite breakfast
(m/c)- magic color
(a/c)- any color
________________

A week went by after your wielding trial.

You had explained to Kamek, Bowser, and Jr what the chain link necklace was at some point after your trial, but didn't go into detail of how exactly you got it. You had even demonstrated that you could now use magic with a lot more control. This made Kamek confident that the item was helping your magic, but he was a bit confused as to why it was so different compared to other wielding objects people had earned when taking the trail.

You could tell that Kamek was suspicious of your story, but you just told him that it must be because your magic is different from others. He seemed to be ok with that answer and stopped interrogating you about your trial after that.

Your focus after the trial was immediately on trying to figure out a way to help with the kingdom in some way. However, Bowser still seemed hesitant about letting you help with the kingdom immediately, so you spent those days getting some well deserved sleep and hanging out with the now ungrounded Jr.

This particular morning, everyone decided to have breakfast with you in your courtyard.

You sat there in your oversized black hoodie and (a/c) sweatpants just staring into space at the table while the others ate. You had been itching to talk to your father about what's been going on with the Mushroom Kingdom, but you weren't sure if breakfast would be the best time.

"(y/n), are you alright?" Bowser asked, looking slightly concerned. "You've been picking at your food all morning."

You looked down at your barely touched (f/b) and back up to your father.

"Um, I just have a lot on my mind right now." You muttered as you took a quick bite of your food.

"Like what?" Jr asked while shoving bacon in his mouth.

"I- uh- I've just been wanting to know what's going on with the Mushroom Kingdom, that's all..."

"Oh." Bowser muttered while looking away and taking a sip of his coffee. "Not much really..."

Awkwardness filled the table as you stared at your father in confusion.

"So... what does 'not much really' mean?" You questioned.

"Yeah!" Jr yelled, slamming his silverware down on the table. "What does that mean!?"

"Ok, first of all, Jr we have talked about being too loud in the mornings." Bowser said, glaring down at him. "Second, to answer you properly (y/n), we have decided to yield for now due to the nature of Mario's threat about the power stars."

"It's just to protect the kingdom." Kamek chimed in. "Though, we are unsure if the threat holds any actual truth."

"Ah! Dumb humans and their dumb threats!" Jr said while raising his arms in the air.

"Whoa, hey!" You said jokingly. "Have you forgotten that I'm a human?"

"Oh yeah..." Jr muttered while squinting at you. "You're a dumb human just like the Mario Brothers."

Bowser rolled his eyes while you couldn't help but laugh at your brother's statement.

Wait...

Just like the Mario Brothers...

"Wait, hold on." you said, turning to your brother. "Jr, you might be onto something."

"Of course I am!" Jr said smugly. "I always knew you would come to terms with how dumb you are!"

"No, not that." You said, shifting your tone to a more serious one. "The thing about me being human, just like the Mario Brothers."