Chapter 37 ~ The end of an era

Draco's POV:

Cass and I had returned home not too long after the end of the war. Her home, of course, mine was.........covered in aurors.

Blaise and Amy had gone home separately to their own parents as had our other friends. It was a time to be with family and i couldn't help but feel left out seeing as mine were facing trials and not allowed home.

Cass and her parents had let me move into one of their spare rooms and made me feel totally at home, more so than i even felt at my own home, but not seeing my parents since mid-battle felt wrong. I needed to know they were ok and show them that i was too.

We were awaiting news from their final trial today on whether they woukd be sent to Azkaban and to say i was nervous was an undertstament. Cass had to use a spell to keep my leg from shaking even.

"Hey, Draco, did you see that Harry has been awarded a position as an auror? Seems like small compensation for what he did but nice that he's got a career," Cass said with a smile as she entered the living room where i was sat trying to read and distract myself to no avail.

"Potter an auror? Can't say I'm too surprised. Although I did think he'd go into quidditch," i answered honestly. I could admit he was better than me but I'd never let him hear me.

"Have to admit i did too. Guess not. This job would suit him well. Had any thoughts about what you want to do next?" Cass asked, sitting next to me and curling into my side as she glanced at the alchemy book i was reading.

"Well, I'd love to teach alchemy but Hogwarts doesn't have an alchemy position or even lessons so I'm not sure id ever be qualified enough," I hummed sadly, it was a shame for sure but i could always find aomething else to do for work. Alchemy could just stay a hobby, besides, many wizards ridiculed it as it was a very muggle invention and tried to explain magic with science.

"Well we could ask McGonagall about opening a position up, perhaps as extra curriculur classes while you're learning," Cass offered and I did like the idea a lot. MCgonagall had taken over as Headmistress of Hogwarts and no one was surprised. She was basically born for the role.

The restoration of Hogwarts had begun and would be completed in time for the new school year to begin and all of us final year students were given the choice to return. Many had chosen to finish their education to get specific jobs but there was also a large number who had been offered jobs right away or simply needed time to adjust back to life.

I think at the end of the day, we all had different coping mechanisms and things we needed to do to get to grips with the new world and what we had been through. For some that was returning to normal and for others it was removing yourself as much as possible from the normal.

Cass and I sat somewhere in the middle, but it didn't help that we were both uncertain still.

"What about you? Had any thoughts?" I asked her and she hummed softly, thinking.

"I'd like to teach as well i think. I was rubbish at teaching you charms but I have quite a love for potions. I performed well in our last exams so maybe i need to return to school and pass final exams and appmy for a position somewhere," Cass pondered out loud, and i could see her mind whirring with possibilities.

"Well perhaps that's something you can bring up with McGonagall yourself," i smirked at her, repeating her earlier words and she rolled her eyes playfully at me. She really was stunning when she smiled.

"It's here!" Cass' mum called as she ran into the room excitedly, waving a piece of paper in the air.

"What is?" Cass asked, sitting up straighter and i missed her warmth.