Chapter 18 - Home for the holidays

Cass' dress ^

Draco's POV:

Mine and Cass's invitations had arrived lager that day and despite my constant begging, Cass refused to let me know anything about the dress she had bought for the ball. She was undoubtedly keeping it a secret for a reason and I had a feeling it was to see the effect it had on me on the day.

The start of the Christmas holidays was a couple days after Blaise had told us the news and while we had originally planned to stay at Hogwarts, we has suddenly found ourselves packing to go home.

I hadn't seen Cass properly since the day in the library, due to Amy keeping her busy with questions about the ball, and then her parents calling her home a day early to spend time with them.

I missed her immensely, especially having to spend a night by myself for the first time in months and finding I couldn't get to sleep easily when she wasn't there. I'd grown so accustomed to sleeping with her, both sexually and not.

"Master Malfoy, Winky has been sent to take you home," Winky the house elf greeted me off the train and is gave her a small smile, thankful my parents had thought to send someone at least. I knew they were busy, they always were, especially with the dark Lord hanging around all the time but I did miss them even if they were questionable people at times.

I took Winky's hand and felt the familiar squeeze of apparition before my feet landed on the cold marble floor of the Manor.

"Draco! Welcome home, sweetheart!" My mother cooed as she rushed into the room to embrace me. I hugged her back, not missing how much thinner and frail she felt and when I pulled out of the hug I noticed how tired she looked.

"It's good to be home, is father around?" I asked, knowing if he was I'd undoubtedly get a talking to about my task of killing Dumbledore and right now I didn't want to face his anger.

"No, he's out on ministry business but he'll be back for the ball. Speaking of which, the Welsh's will arrive soon and I want you to show Cassandra around. I really want you two to get along," my mother asked, giving me a look of 'if you argue this you'll regret it' but I chuckled and nodded.

"Of course, mother. I assume your plan to get us married is still in full swing?" I asked, acting exasperated as I normally would have been but actually genuinley curious now.

"Yes, but before you start whining, I'm not going to push you tonight about it. You can enjoy the ball stress free, but I really think you and Cassandra should get to know each other properly. You grew up hating each other but I bet you don't even remember why. Give her a chance one day," my mother said with pleading eyes and I smiled, kissing her cheek.

"I've actually been meaning to talk to you about Cass," I admitted, looking to see her giving me a very intrigued look.

"It's Cass now is it? I dare say you've beaten me to the punchline this time," mother laughed.

"We patched things up this year, Cass and I," I told her and she broke out in a bright grin.

"Oh how wonderful! Don't you think she's just wonderful?! Such a gorgeous girl and always so charming, oh I'm so glad you get along!" She ranted on and on, talking about how wonderful Cass was and while I didn't need telling, it was nice to hear my mother thought so too.

"You can't tell Cass' parents anything, I'm not sure if Cass has told them yet and I wouldn't want her to be put on the spot, especially tonight with everyone here," I said and she sighed but nodded.

"Fine, but you owe me an explanation on all this. But I won't push now, you need to rest and get ready for later," She said with a smile, motioning for Winky to help me with my bags.