Chapter 23 ~ Hogwart's won't be the same

Draco's POV:

I was allowed out of the infirmary a couple days after the incident and I spent as much time as I could on the cabinet, knowing my time was running out.

I felt guilty being with Cass, spending time with her knowing what I was about to do would hurt her so badly. I didn't know how to handle the situation and my worst fear is that she would try to stand by me and get caught up with the Dark Lord too, and that he could manipulate her or threaten her.

No matter what I needed to keep her away from him, even if that meant that when the time came, I needed to make her hate me so she didn't try to come with me.

The cabinet itself was done and I'd been teleporting small objects back and forth successfully but today was the first time I was trying something alive.

I had a small toad in a cage that I had managed to grab from the potions lab, and put it in the cabinet, closing the door slowly to make sure it clicked shut properly.

I recited the spell and listened for the familiar sound of wind passing through the cabinet before opening it to see the toad was gone.

I closed the door again and counted to five, hearing the wind return and I opened the door again to see the toad returned but dead, however an ornate dagger was sticking out of its carcass.

Bellatrix.

It had worked! Oh fuck.

I shut the door once again after removing the toad only to hear something transport again. I looked inside to see a small folded note.

Be ready tonight. We will arrive at 7pm.

This was really happening, I couldn't stop this now. I needed to make sure Cass was safe and far away from the mayhem that would ultimately ensue with Death Eaters in the castle.

I needed Blaise's help.

Heading towards the slytherin dorms, I had to keep ducking and hiding from being spotted by a couple girls who would try and hit on me. It would be so much easier if they all knew about Cass and I  but truthfully I doubt they'd believe it even if they saw us fucking in the middle of the quidditch pitch.

As much as I wanted to finally make it known she and I were together, and say fuck the consequences, I knew I couldn't keep her safe by pulling her more into my world.

"Blaise?" I called out as I entered the common room  seeing it empty and sighing. Fuck where was he?

"Mate, you in here?" I called through his dorm door whilst knocking and I heard some shuffling from the other side.

The door opened and Blaise smiled, stepping aside to let me in and I took a seat on the sofa.

"What's up man?" He asked  perching on the arm of the armchair and I looked at him through my tired eyes.

"It's happening tonight. The cabinet is finished," I told him and his face fell instantly.

"Oh, I see. Are you ready?" He asked and I scoffed.

"Like I could ever be ready. Its not just the task though, it's Cass," I explained and he sighed, already knowing what I meant.

"She would try and follow you wouldn't she. Do her parents know anything?" He asked and I shook my head. They weren't apart of all the Dark Lord stuff, they managed to avoid taking any sides.

"Perhaps it's best if her and her family are kept out of it,: Blaise admitted and I looked down at my hands, not wanting to show him how much it hurt to hear him confirm what I already knew.