Chapter 32 ~ Rise from the ashes

Draco's POV:

It had been three days. Three days since Cass had been murdered.

Amy and Luna had returned to Hogwarts now, the news reaching them later but they rushed back Cass' parents as soon as they heard.

That's where we took Cass' body. It was the hardest house call anyone has ever made, and not just because i didn't want to let her go.

In a sick way, seeing her parents pain made me feel better. Knowing i wasnt the only one falling to pieces, feeling as if I'd been murdered on the inside.

The funeral was being arranged, and in the meantime I sat with Cass' body as she rested in an open casket.
She didn't look dead, not fully. It was perhaps thr most painful part. That she looked as if she would wake up and smile at me at any moment.
I'd seen dead bodies before and they always looked so restless, grey and lifeless, but Cass.....she looked peaceful, as if she was dreaning. Her complexion was pale but not grey or dull, her skin still held the rosyness it had before.

I spent so long watching her closely for any sign of movements i didn't even relaise days had passed. Didn't even realsie people had tried to talk to me or bring me food. I'm not sure I'd heard a single sound.

"Draco, its time," is the first words i heard at all. It was my mother, and i knew what thpse words meant, id dreaded them for days. It was time to say goodbye for good.

I watched as some of Cass' family members used magic to float the casket out of the room and towards the gardens where her parents had prepared a grave.

Many people had turned up. Amy, Blaise, Neville and Luna. It felt like half of Hogwarts was here.

Professor McGonagall was leading the service, and as the casket reached the fronr she began to speak. My parents took a seat at the front but i stayed by Cass' side akong with her parents. Its where we belonged.

"Cassandra Welsh, was a person unlike any other. While every human is unique, Cassandra stood out even more so for her kindness, her talent, her generosity and her fearless friendship. To know her was to love her, as I'm sure we all know," McGonagall started with and her words silenced the crowd. No one even dared sob as we all listened in silence to the McGonagalls words, every one true and eliciting beautiful memories.

"Before he passed, Dumbledore left me a few letters, with instructions not to read them until the time was right. One of those letters was addressed with Cassandra's name. I'd like to read it now," McGonagall spoke as she held up a letter. She opened it and scanned the letter, her eyes going wide.

"Oh....," she breathed out. "I dont think this was meant for today," she said sadly.

"Can you not read it anyway?" Cass' mum asked and McGonagall nodded.

"Cassandra, if you are reading this letter then I am unable to speak to you in person for whatever reason. You have always been dear to me, spending time with me and Fawkes pouring over old tales and stories in my office and helping me organise my desk sweets. 
I'm sure that by now, Fawkes has returned to you and is keeping you company as you prepare for your life ahead.
I would also like to offer my congratulations to you and your husband on your wedding, the two of you make a fine pair and I'm so glad i got to witness your relationship begin and grow.
I asked Professor Trelawney a few predictions surrounding Mr Malfoy's future with the Death Eaters and in doing so discovered a little something else.
So, if i may be so bold, I'd like to suggest a name for your newborn. Scorpius. Named for the constellation that will light the sky today, on his birthday.
I wish you the best of luck in life. You deserve so much. Be at peace Cassandra Malfoy, and be happy.