chapter xxi.

We were brought back to the breakfast area. We sat like while we were eating boys on one side and girls on other. Grover across Missy, Percy across Annabeth and Luke across from me. The male cop and some other female cop were asking that bitch questions.

"So we're just killing time 'til we find out that guy's like a werewolf or something, right?" Percy asked.

"The train is arriving at St. Louis Gateway station in ten minutes." The speaker announced.

"I don't think he's a monster. Hard to say." Luke said looking at the cop.

"Well, if he's not a monster, what's going on here? Why would anyone tear our room apart?" Percy asked. I agreed with Percy but I also think that yhe cop wasn't a monster.

"Maybe they were looking for something." Grover suggested.

"We don't have anything." I said and Percy nodded.

"The people who think Percy stole Zeus's master bolt might disagree." Grover said. Good point.

"Right. Well, look, they're not gonna find something we don't have. Either way, we aren't spending the day answering questions in the St. Louis police station. We need to get out of this before we get delayed." Percy said seriously. We all nodded agreeing.

"D...Do you mind if I sit?" The bitch asked with a fake smile. We all gave her dirty looks.

"There isn't really space to move to. And besides why the fuck would we let you sit if you accused us of something we didn"t do? Move along bitch." I said. She gave me a a fake smile and pushed me towards the window so she could sit. Bitch. "Get the fuck away from us."

"Another word and see what happens." The cop warned me.

"You poor dears. Your parents aren't here, are they?" She asked faking that she's worried.

"That's none of your business." I said back. Then there was animal whining from the table across from us.

"Isn't that right, precious? Don't children get scared when they're all alone? It's okay. I'm a mom. I know how scared you must be." She got up and went yo the animal in the bag. Then she turned to the cops. "Excuse me. Would you mind giving us a little space? I think...I think you're making them nervous." They nodded and walked away. "I want you to know...I don't actually think that you made that mess back there. I just wanted a moment alone with you. There are some things I need you to understand-" the bitch was cut of by Grover.

"You have something on your jacket. It looks like...It looks like glass." I looked at the jacket. There really was glass there. Nice one Grover. "No one smashed out the windows from inside our cabin. Someone smashed them in from the outside." He explained. The animal started groaning again.

"Yes, sweetheart. I know, I know. You're impatient." She said as she got up again to go to the animal. "Oh! But we're almost there. Then she turned to us. "This isn't your fault. But sadly, you're going to have to bear the burden of your parents' mistakes today." She was the monster.

Listen, lady. I don't know who you are, but I think I know what you are. We've run across a few monsters like you and we've sent them all packing." Percy said and the bitch scoffed.

"Monsters like me? Well...of course they're like me. They were my children." The woman said. Echidna.

"Children? What does that mean?" Percy asked. Its official Percy is the slowest. I gave him the 'are you serious look' then he figured it out. "The Mother of Monsters."

"Echidna." The other four said. She chuckled softly and the monster in the bag was growling.

"Oh!" She shushed the monster. "Monster. It's an odd word, considering my grandmother is your great-grandmother, and this has always been a family story. But....to my eye, the demigod is the more dangerous creature." The monster continued growling and she sighed. "Disruptive. Violent. If I exist for anything, it is to stand in the way of monsters like you. My little one here. She's just a pup now. Bless her heart." Then she chuckled. "Today... you will be her prey. Are you afraid yet? Oh. It's all right. Fear is natural. It's also essential to the hunt. Your fear. Your doubt. Your confusion." The moster was still growling "I needed you to understand what was happening so that she could track the scent. So that she could learn and grow, because...that's what a good mother does for her children. Not that you would know." Bitch. The monster started sniffing. The zipper was getting opened from the inside. "You should run now." A tail came out of the bag and stung Percy. Annabeth jumped on it and stabed it. We got up and ran. "No, sweetheart! Go!" I opened the door fie everyone and ran after them.

"You! Stop! Stop!" The cops shouted. We ran through the train. Percy first then Missy, Grover, Annabeth, Luke and then I.

"Stop!" The cop continued shouting.

"Hey! Percy." Grover said as we stopped. Annabeth ran back and blocked the door. Smart. And we continued to ran a bit further.

"Open this door!" "Come back here and open this door!" The cops shouted. Grover pulled out a stinger out of Percy's jacket.

"What is that?" Percy asked.

"It's a stinger." Missy said.

"Grover, do you know what kind of monster has one of those?" Annabeth asked.

"I don't know. I mean, nothing good probably." Gtover said. I started thinking about all the monsters I know but i couldn't think of any who had stingers.

"Do you feel okay?" Luke asked.

"I think so. Why? Do you think it's poisonous or something?" Percy asked.

"Open this door, right now!" The cop shouted again.

"Shut the fuck up!" I shouted back at him annoyed.

"I'm not sure." Annabeth said.

"Come on. Hey!" The cops continued.

"We gotta move." Luke said. Then the speaker started.

"This train is making an unplanned stop. Please remain seated for your-" then it was cut of by monster growling. We were getting out of the train Then it hit me. I knew what the monster was.

"It's a chimera." I said. Everybody turned to me and exchanged worried looks.