NOT A FAILURE [CROWS, MAL, ALINA]

Summary: Imagine helping Mal and the Crows free Alina.

---

"This is a bad idea," you mumbled, mainly to yourself as you held your gun close to your chest, sitting down on the floor in the corner Mal sat on the crate above you, letting out a breath.

"Well... we promised to rescue Alina, and that we'll do," Mal replied, closing his eyes for a minute, listening to the Darkling ramble something on the deck. His words were muffled and unintelligible, you couldn't make sense of them. Mal took in a deep breath. "I wish I could punch his teeth into his throat, one by one."

You and Mal had narrowly snuck into the skiff where Alina was held - vowing to release her even if it took your own life. Immediately after getting on, you had made your way to the ship's hold, hoping to hide there until time came.

But of course luck wasn't on your side, and soon you heard how someone was entering the hold. You and Mal exchanged a panicked look, before you dove to hide between the crates - Mal went to the other side while you stayed on your own side.

"Kirigan has the Sun Summoner chained on the deck," someone said, and you and Mal glanced at each other across the hold.

"Saints, I have a bad feeling about this..." another male voice groaned, and suddenly you caught movement from where Mal had just been hiding. You didn't even have time to react before Mal was already gone, making you panic.

"We'll might have to threaten her life," the first guy said and then you heard a collective "what?!"

"Who's this?" the same voice from earlier said.

"Stowaway," a woman murmured, making you peek from around one of the crates, your eyes widening at the sight of Mal, held by a Suli girl. "He was hiding over there. Why this particular skiff?"

They were all glaring at Mal, and that's when you jumped up, pointing a gun at the Suli girl. Your hands shook, you felt how you were sweating, but you still managed to give an order.

"L-let him go, or... or I'll shoot e-everyone," you stuttered, flinching when a Zemeni man pulled out two revolvers, pointing them at you.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you, sweetheart," he replied, and you pointed your gun at him, now your hands were shaking even more. It was painfully obvious how you had never shot to kill anyone.

"Don't," Mal mumbled, shaking his head at you. You looked between him and the three others, before slowly lowering your gun.

You swallowed, putting your gun back into its holster, the Zemeni man doing the same. Your eyes flickered between the two men. "If you're here to hurt Alina-"

"We aren't," the Suli woman replied, glaring at the man with a cane, and he looked back at her, sighing.

"Of course we wouldn't hurt her, she's too valuable," he replied, tightening the grip on his cane. "But threatening to hurt her could make Kirigan do as we say."

You and Mal snorted, and you rolled your eyes. "You haven't seen him in action, have you? He'd cut you in half with his shadow blade powers the moment you say anything about hurting her, and you won't have much space to run on this skiff if you haven't noticed."

The two men stared at you and Mal for a moment, before the guy with a cane nodded at the Suli girl. "Give him his gun."

"Why?"

"Because if he's not with Kirigan, he's with us."

The Suli girl gave Mal his gun back, and you moved to stand beside him. "We should attack as soon as possible."