IN THE DARKNESS [KAZ BREKKER]

Based on Work Song by Hozier: When my time comes around / Lay me gently in the cold dark earth / No grave can hold my body down / I'll crawl home to him - requested by anon

Summary: Pekka Rollins has a proposition for Kaz that's doomed to be turned down, but that's exactly why he uses Y/N to encourage Kaz to take his offer.

Characters: Kaz Brekker, Y/N (gn, they/them), Nina Zenik, Inej Ghafa, Jesper Fahey, Wylan Van Eck, Matthias Helvar, Pekka Rollins

Pairing: Kaz Brekker x reader

A/N: Places itself to the time when Kaz had started to show his claws around Ketterdam and Pekka didn't know anything about his personal grudges. I hope you like it, it came out as a oneshot 💕 Also in case there's a hardcore Hozier fan who knows that the lyrics are wrong, yes, I changed "I'll crawl home to her" to "I'll crawl home to him" because a) this is gender neutral and b) I got an idea which needed that part to be changed for it to make sense 😄

Warnings: mentions of death, blood, violence

Word count: 1.4k

The evening at the Crow Club was dead silent except for Nina's soft sobs against Matthias' shoulder. Kaz just sat there, staring at the nothingness, clearly plotting for yet another revenge at Pekka Rollins.

Just that morning, you and Kaz had encountered some Dime Lions at the Dreg territory. Of course, you took most down, but as Kaz was fighting one of the bigger guys, he didn't notice how you had gotten surprised from behind, knocked out and taken away. It quickly became clear that it had been a trap, and those Dime Lions were supposed to be sentenced to death or badly injured in order to kidnap you. And when Kaz had noticed that you're gone, he knew it had been a trap.

He had been so stupid. Of course it had been a trap, Dime Lions were too smart to be on the Dreg territory in so small numbers, and they knew that stepping into Dreg territory basically means fire on sight, no questions asked. And Kaz knew where you had been taken to, and Pekka wanted him to come alone.

So he had gone to the Emerald Palace, where you had been tied to a chair in Pekka's office, and Kaz wanted to kill everyone in the room when he saw you. There was dried blood at the corner of your mouth, multiple bruises were forming around your body and your arm looked dislocated. You couldn't even move your fingers, as they had all been broken.

"You'll pay for this," Kaz hissed, clenching his fists tightly.

"Oh, I know," Pekka smirked, and gestured to you. "Sweet, sweet Y/N, who has stolen the heart of a boy who has more reputation than most here at the Barrel."

Kaz's eyes narrowed dangerously. He could tell that you were barely conscious, but you tried to shake your head anyway.

"I didn't tell him anything, Kaz," you choked out through your bloody lips.

Pekka rolled his eyes, and a goon beside you hit you with his gun. "You won't speak unless you're spoken to by boss!" he growled.

"So," Pekka said, turning to Kaz. "Did you really think you could just walk into my territory and take what you want? To try to hurt me?"

Kaz snarled, "I'd do anything to hurt you and your gang."

Pekka laughed, clapping his hands together mockingly. "Yes, and that's exactly why I have a proposition for you. Something you won't like, but that's why Mx. L/N is here to help you make that decision. You have a mind, will to hurt, to make people suffer. If only you weren't such an idiot and work for that old Haskell... you could be so much more within my ranks."