HEARTS [KAZ BREKKER]

Summary: You have fallen hard for Dirtyhands himself, and Nina knows just what to do about it. Based on one of my prompts in my promptlist (in Tumblr): "What's this?" "I bought you binoculars because now you get to look at them better... or you could go talk to them."

---

The clink of glasses and chatter of patrons fade into the background as you found yourself fixated on Kaz, sitting across the room, admiring his every move. His eyes roamed the parchment in front of him, and a part of you told you to go to him, sit across from him and... offer him your help?

Then he'd arch an eyebrow at you, asking why would he need your help. Maybe he'd call you a needless distraction or something worse. You'd just embarrass yourself. So you settled with sitting there and admiring him from afar, fantasising what could happen if he'd have feelings for you too. That stupid fantasy had been stuck in your brain for months, and you knew it would never be true.

"I have something for you." Nina's voice stirred you out from your thoughts and you took in a deep breath as you shifted your eyes on her, then on the brown package in her hands.

"What's this?" you asked, frowning as Nina handed the package to you.

She huffed. "I bought you a pair of binoculars because now you get to look at Kaz better... or you could go talk to him."

You felt how all the blood decided to take a trip on your face and you immediately started shaking your head. "W-what? What are you talking about?"

Nina snorted, "I can hear your heart. And it's written all over you anyway."

You opened your mouth, then closed it, then opened it and closed it one last time as your shoulders slumped. "Is it that obvious?"

Nina smirked, taking a seat beside you. "Pretty much, yeah."

You were silent for a moment, staring at your hands. Then you sighed. "I know it's stupid. Kaz will never reciprocate." Nina let out an amused huff at that, and you looked up to her. "What?"

"If you'd hear Kaz's heart when he looks at you, you'd disagree with what you just said." She grinned, her smile just growing wider when your heart skipped a beat and you blinked at her.

She never played around with things like that so you had no doubts of whether she spoke the truth. But still, you couldn't help but think about alternative options.

Maybe he had someone else. Someone who was often around you, and Nina had just misinterpreted the situation. Even the thought of it made you miserable.

"I know that look. He doesn't have anyone else." Nina interrupted your thoughts again and you raised your eyebrows at her.

"Okay, maybe not. But like, Kaz Brekker, Dirtyhands, the most ruthless crime boss any of us know, would have feelings for me? Nina, do you even realise how ridiculous that sounds?"

Nina shrugged. "Ridiculous of not, it's still real. Just go to him and see what happens. He might not show it, but he's going to be glad you joined him. Even if he tries to push you away. He just doesn't know how to deal with feelings yet, give him time."

You took in a deep breath, your eyes again shifting at Kaz as something still held you back.

"Oh, for Saints sake..." Nina mumbled and pushed you forwards. "Go on already."

So you forced your legs to make you move forward, leaving Nina sit at the table, smirking at herself as she saw Kaz looking up to you, his heartbeat quickening a little as your heart was going crazy. After a few moments, you sat across from Kaz, looking at the blueprint in front of him and Nina congratulated herself for finally managing to make you take the first step.