DIFFERENT WORLDS [KAZ BREKKER]

Summary: Your parents are hosting a family dinner, and you decide to invite Kaz to come with you.

Kaz's office was as dim as it always was. The oil lamp flickered on his desk as he wrote something in his paper, his dark eyes going over the document every so often. You couldn't help but stare at him with a soft smile. Despite everything he had done to get into this position - get to be the most feared and most powerful in all of Ketterdam - you had loved him, through all the good and bad things you had gone through. He had grown so much, worked on his trauma with you and finally when he had a good day, you could rub his scalp to ease his headaches and he was able to hold your hand for a few minutes at a time. You didn't push it of course, you took baby steps and would see where it goes. Almost all skin touching was initiated by Kaz, and that was working so far.

"You're staring," Kaz mumbled suddenly and you flinched awake from your thoughts, blinking for a few times before you grinned, looking at your book in your hands.

"Well, what can I do when I have such a handsome boyfriend?" you said, wrinkling your nose as Kaz lifted his gaze to you, cocking an eyebrow. He then smirked, leaning back on his chair, clearly waiting for you to spit it out. You felt your heart thumping a little faster at that. "Okay. Um, my parents are hosting a family dinner in a few days and um, I was wondering if you could come with me? I would like you to meet them."

Kaz's eyebrows shot up for a moment before his smirk slowly faded and he lowered his gaze back to the document in front of him. "I don't think that's a good idea."

You had anticipated his reaction, actually. It was already frowned upon, a child of a rich, respected and fair merchant hanging out with a future Dirtyhands since you were ten years old. Falling in love with him. Participating in heists. Behaving like a Barrel rat instead of trying to be a good child and give a good impression of someone who would be an heir of your father's business. But that was never you, who you were, who you wanted to be.

"You could have been so much more, child," your aunt had told you a few years ago, clicking her tongue upon learning who the boy you had been running around with as a child had become. But the truth was, your parents had always been there for you, and you knew they'd give Kaz a chance. Your father had said that the Barrel kills those who are weak, so it's only natural Kaz had to become something worse than the Barrel. And your mother saw how happy Kaz made you.

Of course, it may have been just respecting your decisions, they had never once said they'd want to meet the man who makes you so happy. Maybe they were truly scared for you, scared of Kaz. That wouldn't be a wonder, you knew it, but... it had still been gnawing at you, them actually meeting him.

"Why not?" you asked, cocking your head. Kaz sighed, still writing.

"You know why. Your parents won't approve of me, you'd just leave there with a bad mood."

You huffed, standing up and walking over to him, settling on leaning against the desk next to him. "My parents know I'm my own person. They've seen how happy you make me."

Kaz stopped writing and looked up to you, his expression softening slightly. "I don't want to cause any trouble to you. Your family is important to you, and I'm–"

"My family too," you finished for him, smiling softly. "Just... please, think about it?"

Kaz looked at you for a moment longer, before he sighed. "Fine. I'll come with you."

As those words left Kaz's mouth, you broke into a wide grin, your hand coming up to weave through Kaz's hair as a silent thank you.

Those few days had gone on quickly. Way too quick for Kaz's liking, judging how nervous he seemed to be. It didn't show that much, he was extremely skillful to hide it, but you knew him enough to recognise it - for example, the way his index finger tapped against his cane head as you stood at the front yard of your family manor.

"It will go fine," you chuckled, nodding towards the front door. Kaz didn't reply, scanning the building before he followed you to the door, and you knocked on the door, smiling at Kaz reassuringly.

Soon, steps were heard from the other side of the door, and the door opened, revealing your father on the other side with a big smile, and you immediately hugged him. After you pulled away from the hug, you gestured to Kaz.

"Dad, this is Kaz. I hope you won't mind me bringing him with me?"

Your father's smile faltered momentarily, but then it returned to its normal one. "No, not at all. Nice to finally meet you, Kaz. Please, come in."

You and Kaz walked along the long hallway with your father leading you, Kaz's cane clicks echoing through the house. The silence was slightly awkward, but you knew it'd just need some warming up.

You entered the living room, your mother sitting on the sofa with a book in hand. She looked up as you entered and smiled widely at the sight of you, standing up and coming to hug you.

"Hello darling," she said, pulling away from the hug and for a moment holding your face in between her hands. Then her eyes shifted to Kaz. "Is this gentleman Kaz?"

Kaz nodded and moved his cane in front of him. He was still wary, you noticed, so you laid another smile his way. It was quite funny, really. Kaz seemed like he wasn't scared of anything, knowing he shouldn't be scared of anything because most of Ketterdam's residents feared him. But then he was nervous in the presence of your parents. It wasn't like he was terrified, but he clearly wasn't sure if your parents would accept him as part of the family. Being somebody that dangerous definitely would be a scare for a lot of parents.

"Shall we have some tea?" your father interrupted you all staring at each other, and you got to sit at the dinner table next to Kaz, across from your parents.

"So, Kaz," your father started as your butler started to pour tea to everyone. "You have quite a reputation."

Kaz nodded after a moment. "I suppose so."

Your mother shifted slightly. "We've heard some... rumours about you. People talk, apparently you've done everything in your power to survive in the Barrel. But our child has spoken highly of you, and that means a lot to us."

That clearly put Kaz at ease slightly more, his shoulders losing their tension slightly as he took a look at you. "I'm glad to hear that."

The rest of the dinner passed without any major hiccups. Your parents eased out with Kaz, and they even laughed at some of Kaz's jokes. They asked more about his work, and Kaz replied to them as politely and vaguely as possible - even though he knew they probably guessed what Kaz meant when he said that he had to "interrogate" rivaling gang members sometimes. You chimed it from time to time, telling them how fun evenings you had had with Kaz and the rest of the Crows, how it feels like a little family.

After dinner, you moved back to the living room and your father poured some wine for himself and your mother. Then you sat in silence once more, before your father cleared his throat.

"I have to say, Kaz, that I was a little apprehensive of meeting you," he said, swirling his wine glass in his hand. "I knew Barrel forces monsters out of the sweetest children who have to survive alone, and I wasn't sure if you'd actually have a good effect on my child or if they are just good at pretending everything is fine. But... I now see you truly care for them, and they care for you. That's what matters to us."

Your mother smiled, nudging your father. "I think my husband is trying to welcome you into the family."

A few hours had gone by from that, and now you and Kaz were on your way back to the Slat, with you having a big grin on your face.

"That went even better than I expected," you said, looking at Kaz. He gave you a half-smile.

"Your parents are... more open-minded than I thought."

"They just want me to be happy. And I am," you chuckled. "I knew they'd approve of you after they'd see that I'm truly happy with you, but I did expect a little more hesitation from Dad."

Kaz's half-smile widened to a regular, small one, as his hand lightly slid to intertwine with yours, making you glance down and then beam at him. He held your hand for a few moments before letting go, and you knew this was one of those rare moments when he was the happiest you had seen him. You then continued your way to the Slat, and you both knew that your relationship had taken its next step forward, yet another wall had been broken.